New lock screen functions are a pain in the ass!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by 212rikanmofo, Jun 26, 2013.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Sigh, I really don't find the full screen slide to unlock gestures in the lock screen useful at all. For example when you are playing music and then access the lock screen, try scrubbing through a song or sliding your finger to adjust the volume, if you don't hit the exact points the whole screen will slide to unlock. They need to revert back to the older version how the slide to unlock was only limited to the bottom section and not the whole edge to edge full screen. This makes it extremely difficult for us to change volume or scrub through music while using it in the lock screen mode.

Another thing is those arrows on top and bottom, they really need to fix this or make an improvement, sometimes it is extremely confusing with all these arrows everywhere. I think they should get rid of it completely. Atfer awhile of using iOS 7, people will understand that slide up will bring up control center. And everyone by now should know that sliding down will bring the notifications since it was introduced in iOS 5-6. So yeah getting rid of those arrows on the lock screen will clear up some unnecessary clutter.

2. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

The scrubber size is an issue because it's tiny! And I agree the lockscreen swiping can get annoying - sometimes I'll just grab my phone, and if I'm not careful and my fingers go across the screen, then by the time I have it in front of me, it's already opened some random app because the screen was so easy to unlock. And I think there are too many options to slide at the bottom, sometimes I'll try to get to the control center, but inadvertently open the camera because they're so close together.

3. YourHerojb macrumors regular

I agree with the statements about the arrows, they're completely unnecessary and had I been using an iOS device for the first time I'd think slide to unlock is referring to sliding the arrow that is right next to it.

Graphically, I like the whole screen slide but agree it should be limited especially when around music controls

4. falconeight Guest

falconeight

Finally!.......someone has a real complaint. Praise Allah, praise Jesus, praise David Blaine, praise Tom Cruise, praise Oprah Winfrey.

5. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

The swipe to unlock needs a specific hit point, I dislike the swipe to unlock enabled for the whole screen.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'll jump in and say when I have a number of iMessages or texts showing on the lock screen, it is difficult to slide to unlock the phone and not swipe a message to reply.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

It all also contributes to increase in pocket dialing: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17498502

8. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

Glad I'm not the only one who see this as being an issue. I am hoping that apple rethinks the process of the slide to unlock. Because what they currently have now is really making things difficult to control when other stuff is on the screen, such as the music player, and as others have reported, making it difficult to slide for individual notifications as well. The 'slide to unlock' needs to be limited to a smaller area. I wouldn't mind if it was the same as the previous versions of iOS. But please, not the whole screen and edge to edge as well. We need finer and precise control.

9. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm so with you on this one :mad:

I heavily rely on sliding to reply to texts, emails etc. The fact that the stupid slide unlocks the phone makes me so mad!

10. mainer4101, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

mainer4101 macrumors member

I've also found it a lot easier to swipe while typing in your passcode and the number doesn't register. Would be nice if the keypad was a little more secure.

ETA: beta 2 actually fixed this, just realized I wasn't noticing it anymore so I deliberately tried and it's much more secure.

11. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

Every body copy and paste the first paragraph to http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

12. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Do you actually want access to the Notification Center or Control Center from the lock screen? I know I sure don't. It kind of defeats the purpose of even having a lock screen. I disabled lock screen access to both and the arrows are gone.

13. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

This made me laugh! :D

14. shandyman Suspended

It'll only be an issue for the first time, if at all. My mum had no problems with it and she's no techie. It's much better than before, with none of it.

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

Well - send apple feedback. That's the point of this whole beta thing.

16. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I agree. Not a fan of sliding the entire screen to unlock. I find that it does it accidentally and it's much harder to do when there are notifications on the screen as well. I end up sliding to go into an email or text when I don't want to.

17. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Not to mention the slide to delete in email. Only works from right to left when I am so use to swiping from left to right in emails to delete them.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

One thing that is less convenient on the passcode screen is that the numbers take up most of the screen, rather than being in the lower half of it (like in previous iOS versions), which makes it less convenient to quickly type in the passcode using your thumb, which is what majority of people do--more movement throughout more of the screen.

19. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I'm guessing the next iPhone will have fingerprint recognition, (no slide to unlock, press finger on home button, which doubles as sensor. Just search on this site for "fingerprint recognition" to see why I think this.), ...so they are having difficulty figuring out how to clean up the screen and still be functional for older devices.

Personally, I don't like the swipe down to get spotlight search, I'm finding that when I swipe pages, to go to the next page, I'm not swiping straight right to left, but at a curved angle, and sometimes this gets mistaken for a swipe down :p ...also, sometimes (not as often) when scrolling through something, I will start too far down and bring up the control center instead of scrolling :p :p