New Logi Charging Dock for iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by teerexx52, Apr 28, 2016.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Just got my logitech charging dock for iPad Pro. Very simple design and it works great. Have it on my desk. Not sure its worth $100 but it is well done.

2. A.R.E.A.M. macrumors regular

of course it's not worth the 100 dollars.... to me! but clearly it was worth it to you.

when i get home i just plug the sucker up and go get on my pc, but thats just me.

apple are funny.

3. Macmar88 macrumors member

I'm just glad there isn't an Apple Store super close to me because I'm would buy it for sure. Driving a bit or order makes me think about spending $100, but this would be extremely useful.

4. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I remember having to talk my self out of the official Apple Watch charging puck for $80.
    At least they included the cable with it!

This? I love the idea of the accessory but I am having no problem talking myself out of this one.

Come on Logitech, charge $50, people will complain it is too high but will still buy it.

$100? You are really reaching.

5. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

If I end up in a decorating situation where my iPad sits on a table and not mounted on the side of one in a DIY holder, this could be interesting. That price though. Starting to wonder if MFi means Made For idiots, me being one.

6. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I love this, 100 bucks is a bit crazy then again apple charging 80.00 for a silicone cover is too.

7. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I have to say even though the price is absurd, I'm still tempted...

8. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I caved, ordered one friday. Used an EPP discount to get 10.00 off, yay.

9. MMan5797 macrumors member

Does it work with the Apple silicone back case still on the 12.9?

10. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

Just ordered one. Like the look a lot and it will fit in nicely in my work area next to my 27" iMac. Money no biggie, I like the idea of not having to continually plug in/pull out the charging cord. My niece ruined their G3 iMac by yanking out the usb cord way too hard.

11. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

If anyone has the USB C charger and this dock, please see if it charges at full speed.

12. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

In the preview that I read, it says the smart connector charges slower then the normal lightning cable.
    I highly doubt the "C" will be any different.

13. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

No way I'm buying one then. Lasted less than a week with the original cable before I threw money at the USB C charger, so not going back.

14. JTravers macrumors 6502a

The specs show it as only rated at 12W. I would have considered it if it could use the USB-C power delivery spec to charge at 29W. Too bad.

I wonder if this is a smart connector limitation or a limitation of how Logitech built it.

15. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

Good question. Might just be both. 12.9" has to specifically support fast charging over USB C, as no other iOS device does that, not even the 9.7" Pro. One could assume the same "tinkering" would need to go into the smart connector for that to support it too, if it's possible at all with only three pins.

Similarly, since the dock isn't just a pass through, additional tinkering would need to go in there to enable the dock to talk to the USB C charger and the iPad.

16. HappyIntro macrumors newbie

HappyIntro

I just got mine last week and I think it's great. Overpriced? Yeah, I'd agree with that. But it's simply good at what it does, which for me is hold my IPP 12.9 at a near perfect angle to use with an external keyboard, while also providing power. The angle also works really well when I'm just watching stuff on it, e.g., MLB games. It's extremely stable, with strong magnets to latch on tightly to the IPP, making the big pad feel very secure. I wouldn't have bought it just for charging, but I like that it lessons the wear and tear on the lightening port, as I use my IPP as a laptop replacement, along with my mechanical USB keyboards with camera adaptor.

17. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

Have to totally agree with you. Just got mine yesterday and it looks great and took about 5 hours to charge my new IPP 9.7 from 12 to 100 percent. Very solid and I can leave my back cover on when charging. I might have given it a bit more thought if it was more than $99 but at that price I am very pleased.

18. cast128 macrumors member

Although I was initially quite hesitant because of the high price, I decided to give this product a chance. I'm probably more OCD than most regarding my desk set-up. The less cables and clutter, the better. It fits in nicely on my desk with my Thunderbolt display, MacBook Pro, and Logitech K811 Easy-Switch Aluminum Keyboard.
    After about a week using it, I'm extremely pleased with the product and have no regrets. If you don't mind waiting, I'm sure there will be a number of similar, less expensive options available, but I just didn't want to wait that long.

19. Agile55 macrumors regular

Agile55

Any other options now less expensive but w/ the same quality & charging times as the Logi?

20. cast128, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016

cast128 macrumors member

Not that I'm aware of unfortunately. If there was a comparable product at half the Logi's cost, I would absolutely have 2-3 sitting around my house and at my office. I'm very happy with my Logi stand and purchased it thinking I would likely return it, but the looks and quality build of it made my decision easy despite the high price.
    Unfortunately, prices are likely to stay at this level for at least the next few months / early fall. Prices are inflated now because the "install base" of consumers that even have an apple product with a smart connector is quite low (do you remember when the original thunderbolt accessories came out?). Additionally, Logitech's pricing decisions will be heavily influenced by the adoption of the smart connector by other 3rd party accessory companies. Personally, I doubt we will see any significant drop in price until early fall when iPhones are typically updated....but I am wrong a whole lot. Just my opinion.

21. Agile55 macrumors regular

Agile55

Cast thx. for the thoughtful reply, in DFW next week @ an Apple Store & hope to look @ one in the flesh then.

22. WillO95 macrumors member

I tried this and had negative results, the iPad didn't fully charge overnight.

I have a feeling that I actually slowed down the charging with the big charger, Im trying tonight with the standard charger, and if it doesn't work, I'm sending it back

23. Agile55 macrumors regular

Agile55

More of a whine than anything else given the lack of additional Smart Connector charging docks/cradles sim. to the Logi offering.

Not even able to find the Logi @ a reasonable/street price on FleaBay, WTB one w/ haste but patience going forward seems the prudent course in finding a lesser priced Logi dock w/ Smart Connector.

Yes I feel better now, somewhat, so can I have some cheese w/ that whine now.

24. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

To those who have the logi base and a Smart Cover. Is the angle about the same on the logi base as the Smart Cover?

25. WillO95, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016

WillO95 macrumors member

I found the angle to be slightly steeper (more upright) than the Smart Keyboard!

For the cover it's about the same I found, it's a good angle if you are sitting at a desk.

I found the thing perfect, just a shame about the charging speeds. I have a small iPP now so maybe I'll get one again.