new logic board ... im still having trouble... ideas??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleFreak89, Mar 29, 2010.

1. AppleFreak89 macrumors regular

my mbp mid 2009 13'' was giving me trouble 3 weeks after i bought it! they replaced my HD and everything seemed fine but then i was having all kinds of trouble...i kept getting the beach ball for the simplest thing like opening a new tab in safari...my headphone jack sometimes would stop working, the wifi would fail to where i would have to constantly turn off and on the wifi to connect, and i would have to force quit safari all the time.

well they replaced my logic board last week, I thought this would resolve all my issues...but no.. im still getting the beach ball all the time. My keyboard shortcuts wouldnt work (I tried brightening the screen and turning on the backlit keyboard and they wouldn't work..so i opened system preferences to do it manually and that crashed on me so I had to force quit out of system preferences!). I then tried to restart my computer...nothing happened. I tried to shut off..nothing happened. I had to manually turn off and on my computer..

So what should I do? I just got a new logic board.. what could be the problem????

2. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

I would be interested in what type of hard drive you have installed in your MBP. I also have a mid-2009 13" MBP, and had many of the same issues you are having after I upgraded my hard drive from the original 160 GB drive to a SATA II 320 GB drive. Others have also had issues with stock Apple drives (maybe those drives were not firmware downgraded to SATA I by Apple - like they had done to many of their drives before)

I had learned (after much hair pulling and research) that the cause of my problem was the EFI 1.7 firmware update that brought the SATA interface from 1.5 Gbps to 3.0 Gbps. I ran the firmware downgrade to EFI 1.6 and no longer had any issues.

You can check out this thread to start out with:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=729883

I feel like a broken record since the few times I post here, it seems it is always about this topic. I am just completely amazed that Apple still has not resolved this issue for the many that are experiencing it...

Your issues, though, are very similar to the same ones I was experiencing, also on a mid-2009 13" MBP, so I hope this might help you...

3. OldMike macrumors 6502

OldMike

I also wanted to mention in my post above that this might have been the same time that EFI 1.7 came out and was installed on your system via system update...