New Logic Board (new 8600M)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Architect4122, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Architect4122 macrumors regular

I had to get a new logic board as my GPU failed...as I feel most people who fully utilize their 8600M will experience as well.

It seems now that the GPU runs hotter than other components (iStatPro) and the fans will kick in a lot more at full RPM to cool everything down.

The question (and theory) I have now is:

Q: is this normal? any ideas?

T: The original issue had to deal with something regarding the heat sink cream and it not being up to snuff and allow heating and cooling extremes that stressed the chip). My thought is now the heat is actually being dispersed efficiently as it should have in the beginning and is now showing up accurately temp wise. (yeah?)

Also, I this happens a lot when I'm in safari and I have a ton of tabs open...maybe there are sites that are heavy in flash that i am unaware of and are really taxing the cpu?

Thanks.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Download iStat and report your temps and fan speeds.

3. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

The 8600 is a known dangercase of apple's. I would expect temps of between 70-100 on the CPU. Gpu maybe a bit more 120ish maybe, that's in heavy situations. Lighter somewhere between 30-60 and 80 respectively.

PTP

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Those temps are much too high for Celsius and much too low for Fahrenheit.

Ideal CPU temps on a MBP are around 40-60 degrees Celsius for a low to moderate load, but never more than around 80. The GPU will usually be about 5-10 degrees C higher than the CPU.

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

The 8600 in my MBP runs at about 100 degrees F at the minimum. I have had the logic board replaced a month after i got it...

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

100 degrees F sounds quite reasonable for an idle CPU/GPU temp.

7. Architect4122 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm..sounds like my theory may be correct then, as my temps that I'm "complaining" about right now fit your ranges...but compared to my previous temps/memory (in what i remember...not RAM :p ) they seem high...which I guess they weren't being reported correctly. Either way, here are a few shots of iStatPro:

Attached Files:

8. nuncupatory macrumors member

Those temps aren't too different from mine (a non-unibody MBP with the 8600M). My idle temp is usually around 60 C. Kind of strange that your fans are running at ~6000 rpm at that temp. My fans usually stay at 2000 rpm until the GPU hits 80 C.

9. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

Can you please tell me something about ur usage patterns? I am trying to conk out my 8600 but this thing just wont die!!!!!!!:D

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

MY 8600M GT is at 65°C as we speak, machine has been running for a few hours, only light tasks, running iTunes, Safari and Adium.
    I'm running with two screens atm, internal + a external 22-inch.
    CPU is at 56°C atm, fans at 3000 rpm (which is my default setting when I hook up my external screen).

And for the ones trying to kill your 8600M GT.
    I do game (way too much :p) and I killed my first 8600M after half a year, but now I've had the same 8600M for almost two years.
    So unless you've gamed a lot on it already, you better play at least 15 hours a day the next half year to keep up with the same load mina have sustained so far.