Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheriz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
My MBP recently had its logic board replaced after it wouldn't power up. Now, seemingly every piece of software that I own needs me to input a serial # to re-register, which is a problem because some won't let me re-register with a serlai that has already been used, and I am missing others....

I think the problem is that the new logic board has a new MAC Address, however I am not sure, and even if that is the problem, I have no idea if/how I can fix the problem. Does anyone know if this is an easy fix or if Apple could fix the problem for me? Any help is appreciated.

Thx.

-Dan

chels18

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
hi, im no mac expert but I had a new logic board recently, but not had this problem.... ask apple if they can supply you with the correct serial code - they can't exactly leave you high n dry not being able to access you're software!

Good luck :)

Rithem

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
I just got my logic board replaced... so hopefully this doesn't happen to me.

revbarabbas

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2009
Contact the companies you bought the software from...explain what happened...most of them should send you either a new serial or they will release the serial from hardware lockdown for you...and for the software you lost the serials to...just contact them and explain you lost your serial and they should help you in some way. What is the software you are having trouble with?

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Yes, I did. Did you read the thread I posted? Besides, I didn't post this for you. I posted it for the OP.

He's saying that the individual serials numbers for his programs are not working, not that the board itself hasn't been serialized. He's going to need to contact the software vendors and attempt to deactivate the old serials and have new ones issued.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
He's saying that the individual serials numbers for his programs are not working, not that the board itself hasn't been serialized. He's going to need to contact the software vendors and attempt to deactivate the old serials and have new ones issued.

I know that. A possible reason why the apps are not working is that when logic boards are replaced, sometimes the Apple tech doesn't put the original computer's serial number back in, which might lead the apps to think they're on a different computer. If an app is using the Mac's serial number to identify the computer, and that serial number has changed or is missing, the app would act as if it had been copied to another computer. I'm not saying this is definitely the case, but it's a possibility.

Cheriz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Thanks for the help guys.

I did get the s/n for my MBP after the logic board got replaced. I am currently attempting to restore with time machine to before i got the board replaced, but that requires locating the Snow Leopard install DVD to boot from. If that doesn't work I will call Apple for help.

The programs I am having trouble with are, mainly Logic Pro and multiple plugins that I have purchased online (those are the ones I don't have the s/n for), and G-Force, a visualizer. Pretty much anything that requires verification. I think Logic will be fine, but I just have the install discs at my old house and will get them mailed.

Any other ideas on fixes? Thanks again.

revbarabbas

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2009
Thanks for the help guys.

I did get the s/n for my MBP after the logic board got replaced. I am currently attempting to restore with time machine to before i got the board replaced, but that requires locating the Snow Leopard install DVD to boot from. If that doesn't work I will call Apple for help.

The programs I am having trouble with are, mainly Logic Pro and multiple plugins that I have purchased online (those are the ones I don't have the s/n for), and G-Force, a visualizer. Pretty much anything that requires verification. I think Logic will be fine, but I just have the install discs at my old house and will get them mailed.

Any other ideas on fixes? Thanks again.

Logic should be perfectly fine, as for the plugins you can try to go back to the site you bought them at and see if they will send you the serial again...

Becko

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
Here's how you can get your SN back on your OS X

Just for reference if someone wants the Serial Number back on the OS X itself after a Logic Board replacement, just go to your Apple Service Center and ask for the Serial Number to be restored on your system, the technician will insert a CD, re-start the Mac pushing some keys, a window will pop up and he will enter some information, once this done you will get back your Serial Number on your OS X.

I got my Logic Board replaced a month ago but the technician forgot to restore the Serial Number, so I went back to the Service Center and got the Serial Number restored in such fashion.

Hope it helps for future reference.

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
They have a CD that they use in the apple store to reprogram the serial into the new board. I would advice you make an apt and go get it added to the machine. Takes like 5min.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.