Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
You do realize that’s only an alternative way to charge your Apple Pencil? Apple actually provides an adapter that plugs into the Apple Pencil where you can charge it from a wall outlet or computer.

Wasn't that adapter only offered/supplied after an outcry of the default charging method?

Ok that’s sad. So teachers buy it? Not the school? $49 for an Apple Pencil goes a bit too far. Teachers aren’t exactly highly paid professionals here (they should be highly paid but our society doesn’t value them as much as other countries).

My guess would be that when they say teachers will be able to buy it, they mean through the school.

Tablets as education tools really are something the teacher should decide on since they have to be willing and able to use them effectively.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
This needs to be available to everyone. I’m active in a Special Needs homeschool group, and a lot of kids would benefit from the features. Hopefully it will be available via the Apple Homeschool Store for them.
Yeah, I’d love to get one for a child for home use. Whenever we update her iPad, anyway.

Reactions: milo

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD

To go along with the new sixth-generation iPad, Apple announced two accessories designed by Logitech -- a $99 Rugged iPad Keyboard Case and a unique $49 Crayon Stylus that shares many characteristics with the Apple Pencil.

logitechcrayondesign-800x450.jpg

The Crayon Stylus looks similar to the Apple Pencil, with a slim aluminum body and an Apple Pencil-style tip. Interestingly, Logitech's website says that the Crayon has been designed for and is compatible with the 6th-generation iPad, suggesting it's not going to work with the iPad Pro.

logitechcrayontip-800x450.jpg

iMore's Serenity Caldwell was able to get a bit more information on the Crayon from Logitech, and it turns out it's using the same technology as the Apple Pencil. It has the same latency, tilt, and palm rejection features as the Apple Pencil, but there is no pressure sensitivity.

The Crayon connects to the iPad via a single frequency and does not use Bluetooth, and it will last for up to 8 hours before needing to be recharged via an included Lightning port, much like the one on the Apple Pencil. Crayon works with all of the apps that support the Apple Pencil.

logitechcrayoninhand-800x450.jpg
There was speculation ahead of Apple's event that a lower-cost Apple Pencil might be in the works given the $99 price point of Apple's device, and it appears that we did indeed get that, but from a third-party manufacturer. Students who have a sixth-generation iPad will be able to use the Crayon or the Apple Pencil with the tablet.

logitechcrayonprotection-800x450.jpg

Compared to the Apple Pencil, the Logitech Crayon has a more kid-friendly design with a pry-resistant smart tip that requires a special tool when the tip needs replacing. The leather cap at the end that covers the Lightning connector is also tethered to the Crayon so it doesn't get lost.

logitechcrayoncharging-800x450.jpg

It's not entirely clear why the Crayon is not backwards compatible with iPad Pro models, and we've asked Logitech for clarification.

Logitech does not plan to release the Crayon to the public at this time, with the accessory limited to teachers. Teachers will be able to purchase it for $49 starting this summer.

Article Link: New Logitech Crayon is Compatible Only With Sixth-Generation iPad
[doublepost=1522186472][/doublepost]They said, "It's not entirely clear why the Crayon is not backwards compatible with iPad Pro models, and we've asked Logitech for clarification." ... but doesn't the article ALSO say this new "Crayon" links up via a specific frequency and NOT via Buetooth? I'd assume that is why it's only compatible with this new iPad. Sounds like they support some special wireless frequency, dedicated to pencils now.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
[doublepost=1522186472][/doublepost]They said, "It's not entirely clear why the Crayon is not backwards compatible with iPad Pro models, and we've asked Logitech for clarification." ... but doesn't the article ALSO say this new "Crayon" links up via a specific frequency and NOT via Buetooth? I'd assume that is why it's only compatible with this new iPad. Sounds like they support some special wireless frequency, dedicated to pencils now.
A low frequency BS wave. :cool:

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015

Interesting theory. That would help clean up the BT connections, and allow Apple to license the ability to use the technology without special access to their proprietary systems.

Reactions: kingtj

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
You do realize that’s only an alternative way to charge your Apple Pencil? Apple actually provides an adapter that plugs into the Apple Pencil where you can charge it from a wall outlet or computer.
Most people on this forum are against understanding the technology before they waste time criticising what they have no experience with.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The Crayon appears to be using a new type of proprietary connection. Apple Pencil 2 couldn't be released today because it would not work on the existing iPad Pros. When the next generation iPad Pro is introduced at WWDC, the new Pencil will be released alongside.

My guess is that it uses even less power than the Bluetooth low energy in the first Pencil. While that might not appear to be necessary since the existing Pencil already uses so little power, it would make sense if the Pencil 2 charges wirelessly. Super low power consumption would enable AirPower charging while you use the Apple Pencil without exhausting the battery faster than it can be charged.

AirPower could enable an entire new generation of wireless iPad accessories that never need to be plugged in for recharging.

Reactions: RDowson

RDowson

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
The Crayon connects to the iPad via a single frequency and does not use Bluetooth.

There's why is won't work with other iPad models. Seems like they may be doing away with the bluetooth connection (for stylus use anyway).

Wouldn't surprise me if future iPad Pro models do the same and we also get a new non-bluetooth Apple Pencil.

I assume the new method auto-connects better which would be much easier than using bluetooth which always seems to struggle to reconnect the pencil when you go to use it.

Duckyduckbumps

macrumors regular
May 29, 2017
Even for writing, pressure sensitivity is important. Trying to write with a mechanically constant pressure will be uncomfortable and might even give you RSI over time.

As you say, the form of it looks unergonomic too.

I use an Apple Pencil with iPad Pro and I love it, but the Logitech Crayon looks like a step backwards to me. Would not recommend returning your Apple Pencil.

Acer recently announced an affordable Chromebook with a proper stylus built in, could be a better choice for people who find the Pencil plus iPad combo too pricey.
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ebook-tab-10-first-chrome-os-tablet-announced

Do I need pressure sensitivity? I don't draw pictures. I just use it for pdf annotation and writing. Not sure if I should return my Apple Pencil for this.

The shape seems to be uncomfortable to hold for a long period of time (over half an hour). Any comment?

Where can I find more info on this product? I cannot find it on Logitech website.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017

I assume the new method auto-connects better which would be much easier than using bluetooth which always seems to struggle to reconnect the pencil when you go to use it.
[/QUOTE.]

Really? I use mine for hours every day, and I've never seen this. Just occasionally have to plug it in to repair, if I've restarted the iPad.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
I find this Pencil to be better than the Apple Pencil!

I mean, it has its Power button and a much more sensible female Lightning connector to begin with.

Niklas_nick

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2016

That‘s not the same. You have a half inch small adaptor with the Apple Pencil that’s made out of cheap plastics that’s super easy to lose and that (at least with mine) works only one way around because the female lightning plugs are slightly different in size (might just be a bad product) so the lightning cable would fall out of the adaptor if you plug it into the wrong end.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That‘s not the same. You have a half inch small adaptor with the Apple Pencil that’s made out of cheap plastics that’s super easy to lose

Being complacent isn’t something to blame anybody else for accept for yourself. I never lost the plastic part and it serves its purpose when needed.

Reactions: ZebraDude

Niklas_nick

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2016
Being complacent isn’t something to blame anybody else for accept for yourself. I never lost the plastic part and it serves its purpose when needed.

I haven’t lost mine yet, but I keep it in the original Pencil packaging so I won’t. Having a small plastic adaptor to carry around with you with no real place to put it is unarguably not the optimal solution and the adaptor is of bad quality.

I would have liked if the end of the Apple Pencil were a male to male plug so you pull out the lightning plug from the end of the pencil and have a port for your cable. Would be much better IMO.

MichaelDT

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
I never see them at university. I've only known one person to have one, and he couldn't use WileyPlus to do the assignments because it wouldn't work on iPad.

I only see a few Surfaces, too. Tablets in general just aren't common on campus at all.

I do see a surprising number of very generic, inexpensive laptops. Very few Apple laptops in engineering, but common in the arts/social sciences.
Wileyplus works on an iPad if you use chrome. It’s just some weird formatting js thing.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
A low frequency BS wave. :cool:
Yeah, WTH is this "single frequency" connection? The Apple Pencil uses BlueTooth, if it doesn't use BT nor WiFi, did they add yet another radio to this iPad only? Seems like an extra expense, doesn't make sense for the entry-level iPad.

Every post I saw about this only stated that it uses a "single frequency" connection, but, this is the first I've heard of any such thing on any Apple product.

I may go ask Rene Ritchie on the twitters.

PinkPower4

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2017
USA
I am an Apple fan and excited about the announcement. However, if Apple was really about education, they would also allow consumers to purchase the Logitech Rugged Combo 2 case and crayon so that students could have these in the home too. Honestly, I would not mind this setup myself. Accessories that make the iPad more durable and functional could increase the sales of iPads in households that otherwise would not purchase them.

DoubleFlyaway

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2017
I am an Apple fan and excited about the announcement. However, if Apple was really about education, they would also allow consumers to purchase the Logitech Rugged Combo 2 case and crayon so that students could have these in the home too. Honestly, I would not mind this setup myself. Accessories that make the iPad more durable and functional could increase the sales of iPads in households that otherwise would not purchase them.
I figure it could just be a manufacturing capacity issue at first.

allpurposeguru

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2009
The strange limitations, technology sharing and exclusivity to teaching tells me this was developed with the approval of Apple, complete with these restrictions they impose.
The limitations are to be compatible with standardized testing, which requires no wireless. Both the keyboard and crayon do not use bluetooth.

Reactions: Rajani Isa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.