New Low-Cost 9.7-Inch iPad May Support Apple Pencil

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's new low-cost 9.7-inch iPad may include support for the Apple Pencil, according to a new note to investors shared this morning by KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Kuo says that he expects Apple Pencil shipments will rise to 9 to 10 million units in 2018 "given that the new low-cost iPad may support Apple Pencil." Kuo says Apple may add Apple Pencil support in order to differentiate the low-cost iPad from competing low-cost Android tablets.

[​IMG]
    There have been no previous rumors suggesting the low-cost iPad will include Apple Pencil support, but there was speculation that it could based on the design of the event invite that Apple sent out to members of the media.

[​IMG]

The invitation includes an Apple logo that's clearly been drawn using the Apple Pencil, which led people to think that the low-cost education-focused iPad might support Apple Pencil. It's not clear if Apple will offer schools the existing Apple Pencil or introduce a new, more affordable version if the company is indeed planning to debut a lower-cost iPad that works with the accessory.

Adding Apple Pencil support to the low-cost iPad would allow Apple's tablet to better compete with the Chromebooks that are popular in schools, providing the ability for students to draw and write directly on the iPad's screen with a fast, reliable tool.

Though Kuo does not mention the possibility, if Apple is planning to add Apple Pencil support to the low-cost iPad, some kind of keyboard could also be included. With Apple Pencil support and an included keyboard accessory, iPads would be a far more appealing option for schools.

Rumors have suggested Apple is working on a more affordable iPad targeted at the educational market. The new device could perhaps be priced as low as $259, down from the current $329 price tag for the 5th-generation iPad.

Kuo believes 9.7-inch iPad shipments will account for more than 70 percent of all iPad shipments in 2018, which will have a positive impact on Apple Pencil shipments. He expects Apple will begin shipping new iPad Pro models with TrueDepth camera systems during the "around" the third quarter of 2018, which suggests a September debut.

In addition to the low-cost iPad, Kuo's note also mentions Apple Pencil support for future iPhones. He believes the likelihood of such a feature "may increase with future iPhone screen size being enlarged," but he does not believe the 2018 iPhone models will support Apple Pencil.

Article Link: New Low-Cost 9.7-Inch iPad May Support Apple Pencil

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

3. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Thew New Apple! All about the cheap. I love it!

4. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

Apple Pencil costs $99, nowhere near the price of any iPad.

5. Uni Grad macrumors 6502a

Uni Grad

If they can bring the price of the pencil down, I can see plenty of schools adopting this.

Note taking on tablets is becoming popular among the next generation.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I think that this will ultimately be the key factor. Maybe a bundled product?

7. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

.....that is currently available, whereas this refers to an iPad that hasn't been release yet but is about to be......

8. Uni Grad macrumors 6502a

Uni Grad

Yes, I think it might be bundled for schools.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I wonder... can a $299 iPad + Pencil compete with Chromebooks in Education?

10. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

An iPad/pencil combination sounds great until you realize how many students raise their hand to ask for a pencil - 15 minutes after you've already given them one. ;)

11. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

lolkthxbai

but the original comment suggested the pencil would cost the same if not, more than the unreleased iPad and the idea that an ipad would be released in march under $100 is unrealistic meaning we should be taking the comment with a grain of sarcasm.

12. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Would be redic not to if it’s meant to target the education sector

13. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

A great case or something would definitely be good, or if it attaches to the iPad in some way

14. madman365 macrumors newbie

Seeing as how the invitation is black and white, I wonder if Apple finally created a low cost, super fast refresh rate E-Ink Display. I know they seem somewhat antiquated but have always loved e-ink when it comes to reading. The refresh rate is what is brutal, and would have to be almost immediate if you wanted an Apple Pencil to work with it. Might be nice for educational purposes, note taking, and school worksheets.....

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Well, yes. That’s why there’s an emoji at the end of the sentence. At any rate - to be a little more serious - if Apple doesn’t bring down the price of the Pencil (or if it doesn’t release a lower-end Pencil) the cost ratio iPad : Pencil could weight against the purchase.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 23, 2018 ---
    That would be neat. I love e-ink.

16. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

I've been contemplating outfitting our new computer labs with iPads instead of Macs. The main problem is managing student accounts. Currently, iPads are locked to one Apple ID. We have a half-dozen classes using our labs, so we'd need different accounts on each iPad. Either that, or we'd need a way to lock the iPads so that they remain the same for each student. If Apple gives me a way to do that, I'd probably go that route.

17. sblemmy macrumors regular

sblemmy

I use an iPad Pro and Apple Pencil in higher education. It's been transformative. Students submit assignments digitally, and I'm able to annotate, grade, and return the digital file. There's no question about when work is submitted or when it's returned. Plus, we both have digital copies to refer to if there are questions.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Wouldn’t Apple Classroom solve this problem? https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206151

19. cajun67 macrumors regular

cajun67

Apple will be replacing their #1 Pencil with a #2 Pencil

20. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

When I look at the invite I can't help but think "ARM Mac Mini"!

21. erinsarah macrumors 6502

While I cannot speak for Chromebook, my 8th grade daughter's class has been using iPads for much of their in-class work and homework for the past three years and it's gone very well. I know she would LOVE a pencil (as would I) because she is a budding artist, but I do wonder how the program would work. Right now, the school pays for the iPad but the parents pay $36 per year for insurance. A $99 pencil is a heck of a lot easier to lose than an iPad. How will they handle replacements? Hmm...

22. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

I tried the orignal iPad Pro with Pencil, it was great but not enough for the price for me. A cheap iPad with Pencil might be a great option though.

23. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

I just hope the entry point is more than the measly 32GB which is just not acceptable anymore and puny.

24. erinsarah macrumors 6502

It definitely would. I don't know a lot about the program (I am a parent of a kid in a school doing this...not a teacher) and they have a setup where there's a cart full of iPads that the kids sign out for labs. So Apple's definitely provided a solution for this. I would suggest contacting Apple's education program.

25. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I Really like the Apple Pencil. Its a great accessory to the iPad for sketching and notetaking. iOS 11 for the iPad really opened up the potential with the Apple Pencil even more. However, I do think it’s a little bit overpriced. If they offer the Apple Pencil somewhere around $79, that would be a huge selling point bundles with an affordable iPad.