New low end iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JE-Illustration, Feb 2, 2010.

1. JE-Illustration macrumors member

JE-Illustration

Yup it's another "should I buy this?" post?

1. Our budget will be $1700, but we'd like to not spend up to that full amount.

2. Our current macs... and you may laugh. One is an iMac G4 800mhz flat panel(swivel) we got back in about 2002. The computer I do my work on is a Power Mac G4 mirrored door drive 1.25ghz with 17" studio display.

3. I'm a graphic designer and illustrator so programs I use is Adobe CS2 creative suite, Dreamweaver & Flash 8, and the other basic mac apps like iPhoto. I really want to get into the CS4 programs lol.

With our first iMac we made the mistake by not going big... and went low end. We kicked ourselves after having the iMac for awhile.

So we've been looking at the 21.5-inch: 3.06mhz intel Core 2 Duo, 4gb ram, 500gb HD, Nvidia GeForce 9400M graphics New for $1,199.00.

The only difference in the next step up is the HD space (not worried about) and the graphics is ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics with 256mb.

Question: Is the extra $300.00 worth it for the ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics?

I think the reason going with low end this time doesn't bother us because it's just a big jump, going from a G4 to a Intel Core 2 duo.

The other question then would be should we look in the refurbished area on apple?... in a few days if the same iMacs are there some of them have the NVIDIA GeForce GT chip series... and only a hundred or so more... would that be a good move?

We ruled out the Macbook Pros since I doubt we need the portability as we don't travel.

Sorry for the long post, I guess the main issue is with the graphic chips. Thanks for any help in our decision.

2. JE-Illustration thread starter macrumors member

JE-Illustration

So after some long searching I came across this thread that pretty much answered my question.. http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-660899.html

Someone posted this "graph"
    But know this: RADEON HD 4850 (new iMac) > GEFORCE 8800GS (old iMac, thanks to Jack Flash) > GT 130 (new iMac) > GT 120 (new iMac) > RADEON 2600 PRO (old iMac) > GEFORCE 9400M (new iMac and Mini) >= RADEON 2400 XT (old iMac) > INTEL GMA 950 (old Mini)

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I would go with the model you were initially looking at, but from the refurb store.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB950LL/A?mco=MTU0MzQ1NTg

This iMac will be plenty capable of running all of your CS apps no problem. I don't think it's worth going for the higher graphics card unless you're really going to utilize it. Sure it may be the low end iMac but it's pretty damn powerful and at a good price.

If you think memory will be an issue running multiple CS apps at once, then you can easily pop in an extra 2x2GB of aftermarket RAM for a total of 8GB, all for <$100.

4. JE-Illustration thread starter macrumors member

JE-Illustration

Thanks angemon89... wife and I have been discussing this. We also found this on our local craigslist(yeah I know about scams on there). I would not buy the mac at his price of $1200 but want to see if he'll take $850... But I think we'll get the one you linked to if it's still there by Friday... that's when we get our tax money.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/sys/1581153245.html

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

As said earlier, buy the Refurbished low-end 21.5", it's cheaper, and means you'll have more to spend on software, including CS4 :)

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I'm a graphic designer and illustrator so programs I use is Adobe CS2 creative suite, Dreamweaver & Flash 8, and the other basic mac apps like iPhoto. I really want to get into the CS4 programs lol."

Considering the "yellow tint" problems that both the new 22" and 27" iMacs seem to be having, my suggestion is that you consider "going refurbished" and pick up the best-equipped 24" refurbished iMac that your budget will permit.

Otherwise, as a graphic designer you may be discontented if you end up with a screen that you find less than pleasing....

7. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

i reckon just to get the low end 21.5 inch iMac from the refurb store [​IMG] save your money