New Mac "Admin" here, questions about Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by locust76, Jan 8, 2010.

1. locust76 macrumors 6502a

Hello,

Since I own an iPhone, my boss has decreed that I am to become The Guy when it comes to the 5 Mac computers we have here in our company.

Because we're mostly Windows based (and it will stay that way), the Macs are pretty much taken care of by hand, which means I will be responsible for upgrading their software when needed. They all run Leopard (10.5.6), but I'd like to get them up to Snow Leopard.

My question is this: Is it possible to get a stand-alone, fresh-install license for Snow Leopard, instead of the 29€ upgrade? If something were to happen to the machine and it needed to be reinstalled, would I need to have the old license for 10.5.6 or would I simply be able to wipe the drive completely clean and install the upgrade without any preexisting OS or without having to insert an old disc or something like that?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes it is possible to get the full version of SL. See post below.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Family packs are not valid in commercial situations so stay away from them. The "upgrade" discs will work perfectly well as clean install DVDs: this is not Windows. They are only licensed where you have a Leopard license already but Leopard does not have to be installed first...