New Mac and first time user

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cd3267, Oct 23, 2014.

1. cd3267 macrumors newbie

Hi guys n gals
    Recently purchase a Mac book and been using it now for a few days.

Ive always been a windows user so I know it's a different system etc to get used to. I've upgraded it to the most recent version and all is good.

Few questions are regarding the picture I've inserted [​IMG]

It's says I have 1.64GB of pictures however I cannot find any pictures on my drive. The same goes for movies and audio? Can anybody help me locate them?? I've went in through the Macintosh HD users etc etc.

I do have an iPhone with 1.7gb of photos. Are these linking?

I'm sure I have more questions but think that's it for now

Thanks in advance.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

If you've plugged in your iPhone to your rMBP, and chose to download those images, that's most likely what's taking up that space. Photos are under the Pictures folder.

If the folder doesn't appear in the sidebar of Finder, go up to Preferences, Sidebar, and click Pictures to enable it.

3. cd3267 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haven't plugged iphone in mate. I've just done what you've said and I've got the images attached. However I've only about 40 images in the iPhoto library. [​IMG]

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

You do know you can take a screen shot instead of taking a picture of your screen right?

Press cmd+shift+4 and crosshairs will appear, drag it over what you're trying to screenshot and the screenshot will automatically be saved to the desktop. It'll save you quite a bit of time.

5. cd3267 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What you are seeing it totally normal. The OS itself and included apps have a bunch of images used for illustrations and so on. Same with audio. All that adds up to the storage numbers you are seeing. Nothing to worry about. :)

https://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/pctomac/

This Apple page has some good info on switching from a PC that might help you.

7. cd3267 thread starter macrumors newbie