New Mac and Musical Fidelity M6cd/dac USB problems

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Dean Jordan, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Dean Jordan macrumors newbie

I'm very new to this as a first time Mac user i dipped my toe with a new Mac Mini thinking easy to upgrade and so on only to find its pre 2012 models only the day after i got my new mini. Typical.

im going to use a simple system of Mini running i tunes or Jriver into my Dac. Im having problems with my Mac picking up the USB signal from my Dac or the other way round. Normally with my PC it picks it up and figures it out or i install the drivers from the musical fidelity web site. I have had a look and there are no drivers for Mac on there site. I know people have used this combo on this forum but am unsure what i have missed. do i have to get something off the app store for it to detect it? I have looked in the sound options but nothing. I know i can go down the tos link option but would rather go Via USB.

Anyone able to help a Mac new comer out.

2. jmiddel macrumors member

I have a Musical Fidelity DAC and this is my setup: Plug DAC into usb port, run audio cables from DAC to stereo and in System Preferences > Sound>Output your DAC will show up, select it and you should be good to go.

3. Dean Jordan thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i had a look in there but its not finding it. i have tried plugging it in when the dac and mini is on or starting the mac up when the Dac is on so it can find it but noithing. it is like the mini is not seeing it is plug in to be able to select it

4. Celerondon, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017

Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

So Dean Jordan, you have a 2014 Mac mini and it does not see your DAC when you plug it in. Lets review your connection procedures. The best way to make sure that your Mac recognizes this output device is to:
    1. Turn on the Mac mini.
    2. Turn on the M6CD DAC.
    3. Connect them with a USB A/B cable. (Connect directly to the Mac mini rather than a hub!)
    4. Press the USB source button. (This is the 4th button to the right of the power button)
    5. Open your mini's System Preferences and then go to Sound/Output to see the DAC in the device window.
    Scroll to see all of the devices in the Output device window. If you still do not see your DAC then posting a screenshot of the window may enable us to help you. :apple:

5. Dean Jordan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have it pinned now! Was a problem with my audioquest USB cable. Worked fine on my PC but not the mac. Got a cheap cable from maplin and sorted things out.