New Mac and syncing iPhone with it without losing app data

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by miss.manson, Feb 21, 2012.

1. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

I just bought a Macbook, and I have an iPhone 4s and I was wondering how I could sync my apps without losing the app data? I already have my music transfered onto the new computer from the old one, but I'm unsure of how to do this with the apps and their data. I copied all the backups from my last computer to my new one but I am still kind of scared to sync as I don't to lose any of my saved games, etc. Thank you in advanced.

2. alFR macrumors 68020

Copy the whole iTunes library folder from your old computer to the new one (replacing any iTunes library already on the new computer) before you sync your phone with the new computer for the first time. Then, when you sync, it'll work exactly as it did on the old computer and nothing on the phone will change.

3. miss.manson thread starter macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

When I click "sync apps" I get a pop up saying, "Are you sure you do not want to sync applications? All existing applications and their data on the iPhone will be removed." I did copy the entire music library from my old computer to the new, but still scared to sync apps. Really don't want to lose my saved games. :eek:

4. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Yeah I never understood this. If you're signed in with your iTunes account why does it want to delete everything on your phone and basically make you start from scratch?

If your signed in with the same account and you first create a backup on a new computer shouldn't you just be able to sync one or two apps?

I just don't get it :(

5. miss.manson thread starter macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

I guess theres no way to get around this. :l

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I suppose not. I am surprised, I thought you'd have gotten a few suggestions.

7. alFR macrumors 68020

Dunno, sorry: I've never had that when transferring from one computer to another, it's always just synced exactly the same as before. Did you transfer the whole iTunes folder, or just the music?