New MAC APP can it cause any Hardware Damage ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by augustya, Feb 25, 2016.

1. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

Hi Guys,

There is this MAC APP "Control Air"

http://eyesight-tech.com/controlair

Now I have two questions first is, this APP uses continuously the Mac front APP to perform can it causes any harm to the hardware of the Camera in the Mac by continuously being on all the time? Because whatever time this APP is running the camera light is turned green.

Second is, do you guys see any value in this APP? Does it work with anyone of you ? for me it just doesn't work ? I tried everything ! Can anyone download it and please test it for me ? It is free !

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Looks like the app's web site has some good tips to see if your camera is responding - and to let you know that it likely doesn't do anything unless you are using an app that supports the movement, such as iTunes or Spotify.

I did read through some of the customer reviews for that software in the App Store.
    To me, there's some consensus that it really is better designed for desktop use, as you have to be careful of your head position.

To answer your question - having the camera powered on continuously shouldn't really cause any problems. The camera doesn't wear out through that reason. If that were to happen, then my friend, who spends several hours per day on Skype (and has done that for several years now for family issues) would need to at least replace the camera. But, it works perfectly (7 or 8 years old, I think)
    Using the camera on a laptop might drain the battery quicker - but wouldn't cause actual damage to anything.

3. augustya thread starter macrumors 68020

augustya

So constant switched on of the camera for this APP that may drain the Mac battery that's for sure right ?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2016 ---
    I also wish if someone can test it here for me and confirm if it is working smoothly, for me it didn't work but it was an interesting APP hence genuinely wanted to check out but sad it didn't work out for me :mad:

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Not necessarily. You would have to try it to see if it really affects your own use on battery.
    But if you do use it, in my opinion would be an application that you use without moving around much - and plugging in your power adapter would be a reasonable thing to do.
    The user reports seem to mostly suggest that the app is perhaps not a finished project.
    I would try it out, but I have no camera on my home Mac.
    On the other hand - if you can't get it to work at all (and you tried all the tips from the f.a.q. on the web site), then it may just be your system (some conflicting software, maybe) and maybe not useful to know if someone else can use it, when you cannot. Best would be to contact the developer to see if there is something that you have missed.

It's free software, so maybe you just get what you paid for. :D