New Mac at WWDC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adm531, Jun 3, 2009.

1. adm531 macrumors member

Is this a possibility? I'm buying a macbook this week and i don't want it to be outdated after a couple of days? Are there any rumors along these lines?

thanks

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I'd say just about zero chance they will announce any new Macs.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

4. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

No new macs but hopefully spec bumps. I'd wait to the 8th or 9th minimum or the following week June 16th just in case. I really am hoping for the new iPhone since mine screen completely cracked and is developing slow lines across the display.

5. euanmackie macrumors member

You just never know buddy, I wouldn't take the risk. chances are low however it could be a tablet thing. that might suit what you want?!

6. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I think there's a good chance of an update in the next few months, but a slim to none chance of a WWDC update.

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Dude, just wait if you're worried about it. Whats another few days?

8. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Yeah if you're really that scared, well then wait...But chances are like REAL slim...

9. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Just wait , theres no rush in getting a macbook or imac , the promo ends september theres plenty of time

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They need the spotlight to be on Snow Leopard and the iPhone 3.0 OS, not on some computer refresh.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Most unlikely in my view. Possibly a tweak, but I'd expect a focus on iPhone and possibly the iTouch at WWDC. In general, computer changes tend to be announced in September/October and/or January/February, rather than early in the summer.

Cheers and good luck

12. kim6ball macrumors member

Do you think they'll do anything to the macbook during the back to school promo?

13. chase71320 macrumors newbie

update

Since the Back to School promo ends in early September, it is possible (but not probable) that Apple will update their MacBook's specs before the promo ends. Not at WWDC, though. The problem that currently exists (won't say the same for a few months down the road) is that there aren't any existing processor chips to update to, and a slight upgrade (.2 or even .3GHz) is not noticeable by the average, or even moderately intensive, user. To the OP: I hate to be redundant since ten other people have said the exact same thing, but let me reiterate. Wait. As a consumer, the only thing that will incite buyer's remorse is being impetuous. I am 99.9% certain that WWDC will not introduce any upgrades to their laptop line, but it is still wise to be patient.:apple:

14. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Most notebook CPU updates in the last few years have been moderate GHz improvements, although there have been new chipsets and a die shrink. There are other components that can be updated, which, with a small CPU bump, may be enough for an update.

I'd say 133 MHz bumps, due to the recent Intel CPU updates.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Unlikely. Spotlight will be on Snow Leopard, iPhone 3.0 OS and on new iPhone as well.

16. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

I also think that apple has to milk a bit of margin from its current line up of computers. Processor price falls but the price of the computer does not.

I am waiting on the quad core nahelem to arrive with an OLED screen. That should make me happy.

And snow leopard.

Then I will be happy

And a new iphone.

And then I will be happy

A new apple tablet...

17. MTI macrumors 65816

Aside from phones and media players, it's really unlikely that Apple will alienate recent buyers of the new computers by pulling the curtain on personal computer "upgrades."

It will be interesting to see, other than iPhone 3.0's enhancements, whether there'll be a price war brewing with AT&T and Sprint's exlcusive on the Palm Pre. Coming in a few months will be the new Android phones, including the Garmin/Asus nuviphone and the Toshiba line of Windows Mobile devices using the faster processors.

18. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It sounds like you'll never be enough satisfied :D

19. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I think we'll see a silent update to keep the alu mb's ahead of the plastic mb. Also the low mbp will be able to take 8gb ram like the other two mbp's. (that's what I'm waitin for).

Basically there won't be am announcement, and there won't be new features. But it's enough to wait 4 days for.

20. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I think that WWDC will only bring spec updates and news about snow leopard. I think the iPhone anouncement will wat until Steve Jobs returns at a special media announcement later this month.

21. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

Call me crazy but I actually think that June WILL provide with an update to MBP. Check out the last 2 years of updates.... every 8 months... and guess what the 8th month is June 2009... get ready for an update.

UPDATES TO MAC BOOK PRO (Source: MacRumors Buyer's Guide):
    graph 10/2008
    graph 2/2008
    graph 6/2007
    graph 10/2006

22. Biolizard macrumors 6502

And the last time there was a June update was not long before Leopard came. Now we're on the eve of Snow, all the more reason we'll see an update, if only silent.

23. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Please bring the matte screen to the 15.4" model!

24. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

25. friareunuch macrumors member

don't forget matte screen on the 15" :)

also, apple needs to start offering intel SSDs instead of the crap BTO option they have now.