New Mac Book Pro 2.93 & Star Wars Galaxies

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by austinbobbo, Apr 15, 2009.

1. austinbobbo macrumors newbie

Greetings to All-

Thanks for your time. I am not much of a gamer, but am a big Star Wars geek- and played Star Wars Galaxies since beta. I still have an account floating out there that I have not played in two years, since I went all Mac. I recently bought a Mac Book Pro- 4GB RAM, 350 GB HD, Intel based, faster hard drive (7200) and 2.93GHZ speed, plus a great graphics card.

I have read reports that others are playing Star Wars Galaxies on Intel Macs with far less then my Mac Book Pro. But nothing specific to the new Mac Book Pros and Boot Camp. The only thing I would want to do on Windows is Galaxies. Thats it. And I have plenty of hard drive space.

Thoughts? Advice? Is anyone playing Galaxies smoothly on the new Mac Book Pro?

Thanks a bunch-
    Jedi in Waiting... The Bob:eek:

2. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I haven't played that game before, but I am positive that it will run fine. The 9600 in windows is great for casual gaming.

3. austinbobbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Void,

My apologies for my tech noobness, but what do you mean by "9600" ??

Thanks-
    Bob

4. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

He means the NVIDIA 9600M graphics card in your MacBook Pro. It is the "good one" that you have to set your machine to when you play games.

Click Battery (in upper right corner in the bar) > Energy Saver Preferences > Set Graphics to "Better Performance" rather than "Better Battery Life"

Your MBP also has the NVIDA 9400M graphics card which performs less but saves a great deal on your battery, it's still good on basic functions and 1080p movie viewing and other light tasks but it's not recommended to play games on.

Hope that helps :]

5. austinbobbo thread starter macrumors newbie

6. McBeats macrumors 6502a

ya you'll be stellar :)

my 8600 ran it just fine with the specs up.

7. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Sorry for the confusion. Just like minimoose said, the 9600M graphics card is the better of the two. However, in windows you can't choose which one you use. Instead, windows will always use the 9600M. This is why windows always runs so hot.

8. austinbobbo thread starter macrumors newbie

That is actually something I have noticed in general with my MacBook Pro- it can get real hot. Anything I do about that, to help? Play on on ice covered desk tops perhaps? :)

9. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

10. austinbobbo thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Yes. You can get SMC fan control. You can then set your fan speed. This is only for OS X but if you set the fan speed before you boot into windows, then the fan speed will stay the same. You just have to make sure you do a restart instead of a full shutdown. There is some other fan control software, but SMC fan control is the only one that retains the fan speed once you've booted into windows.