New MAC Book Pro came with tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ilog, Dec 19, 2007.

1. ilog macrumors newbie

Yesterday I got a new Mac Book Pro from an Apple retail store.
    I was expecting it would come with Leopard pre installed but
    it came with Tiger and a Leopard disk inside. I tried do a clean
    install of leopard but it is an upgrade disk and it wouldn't let me
    do a clean install.

I called the Apple store and they are asking me to pay 129$ to get
    a full install disk. Leopard is now more than two months old and isn't
    new Macs supposed to come with either leopard pre-installed or
    a full Install disk? Am I really need to pay 129$ to get a Full install
    disk or is this guy trying to rip me off?

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

It should defiantly come with Leopard for free.

I got my computer with a full leopard install disk in the box just an hour and a half after leopard was released.

What you should do... I don't really know because I didn't have the problem.

I'd advise against going and buying it though since it should be free. I'd bring in the receipt (... you got one, right?) along with the disk and mac book. Demonstrate the disk is not correct. I'm willing to bet they'll give you a disk that'll work without charging you anything.

(but we didn't shake on it if they don't :p.)

3. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Not sure what the refund policy is, but I'd take the machine back to the Apple retail store and order online... no reason you should pay another $129.

Then again, I didn't know Leopard came out with upgrade discs... you should be able to do a fresh install (??)

4. Kelleheretic macrumors newbie

Kelleheretic

You can still do a clean install of Leopard with the upgrade disk. I have done it several times. It just checks for a previously installed OS of 10.4 or greater. Then you just have to choose the option to Erase and Install like in any other OS X install since 10.0

Check the bottom left of the Installer window. I forget exactly what it says, but you'll find it. Then make sure to choose Customize in the next windows to trim a few GB off the Leopard Install.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You can do a complete erase, reformat and install with the Leopard drop-in disc. Exactly what did you do while trying to install?

As long as Tiger is installed then pop in the Leopard disc and click to install Mac OS X. The computer will restart to the install screen. The Leopard disc will check to see if OS X is installed.
    At this point you can go into "utilities" on the menu bar and erase and reformat or just continue to the install process. There will be an "options" button there to select and it will give you options to erase and install, archive and install or just upgrade.

6. ilog thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't start the installation from tiger. Instead I booted from the DVD drive
    by holding the Option key. First it verified for the tiger install and I was thinking it would give me an option for clean install but I didn't see
    anything and installation continued with upgrade. I didn't look under menubar -> utilities. After I go home today I will try again. Thanks for the reply.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Don't go to the menubar...just look for the options button in the bottom left of the installation window. Click that and choose erase and install.

8. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Don't bother, it sucks. Tiger is better.

9. TheStu macrumors 65816

That was quite informative. And the rest of us that are having no Leopard-specific issues are what? Flukes?

10. ilog thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all I was able to do a clean install. I actually did a erase from Disk Utility and then I found Erase and Install under options. As a safe bet I chose that option too and everything went fine.

Now I saved around 8GB HD space. When I did upgrade from clean factory Tiger Install it is around 19GB. Now after erase and install
    (Lepord + iLife - Printer Profile - Extra Fonts - Langugae Translations) it is around 11 GB.

Also the Clean install is very fast, it took around 25 minutes compared to 45 minutes for upgrade.

I still don't understand why the so called Mac Genius over the phone suggested me to buy a 129$ full install disk if I want to do a clean install.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

well done for sorting it out. i did a custom install not installing the same things and got lots of extra space :)

the mac genius is obviously not as experienced with Mac OS X as the mac rumors guys are. 3 weeks ago i rang apple care about a bad battery that lost half of its health after 40 cycles. the support guy was like look in energy saver and change the settings to get a better battery life . i was like WTF? (well i didnt actually say that) but i argued that has nothing to do with it. i then quoted the battery stats from istat pro and he said that widgets arent very accurate... again WTF? i ended quoting the battery information in system profiler and i was then put on hold for about 10 mins where he presumably talked to an expert and came back saying its eligable for replacement. he had no idea.

12. heiesuke macrumors newbie

heiesuke

If I were you and lived near an Apple store, I woulda dropped it off there and had them install Leo.