New Mac Book Pro for editing photos?? Any good

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tttexxan, Apr 24, 2009.

1. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

IM a photographer looking into a new mac book pro for editing. At the moment using a 15inch older MBP but have droped it several times and actually spilled full cup of water in the keys. Its 2yrs old now. Still runs but thinking time for an upgrade..

How does the new monitor with LED and screen been rated with editing. Im also using 20 inch cinema hooked at times.

One issue I have with my current laptop is that I calibrate both using eye one device...However when mirroring and dragging photos over to cinema monitor colors change from laptop to cimema?? Was hoping that issue might be resolved with a new laptop...

Thinking about matt screen also..

Wanting to get when getting off work so advice greatly appreciated

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

i use a 17" uMBP..and when I go into work I hook it upto a 30" Apple Cinema and its really awesome looking, I use it for photo retouching, color alterations, video editing, some music creation (alittle bit of everything) and it gets the job done flawlessly.

If you go for the 17" uMBP you wont be disappointed...I love the screen alittle better then the ACD 30" to be honest...its a bit more rich and deep. I have not calibrated either of them, and im not too concerned with that either.
    Although if you get a uMBP 17" with i think its the 9C98 is alittle bit less than upto par than the display i have which is the 9C99.

as for the 15" uMBP i have used one off and on and theyre great performers...I wasnt thrilled with the display as it was abit off color on certain viewing angles but as far as performance goes it holds itself up pretty well.
    I also connected this to a ACD 30"

But have not noticed too much color loss or vast differences in either machine when testing on the LED Displays compared to the ACD's...and I'm fairly picky about the color too..so i dont think you'll be disappointed; especially comparing the older model 15" to the uMBP 15" a huge improvement in quality.

hope that helps

3. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Works great for me. Go for it.

Your going to have hard time I think matching any laptop screen to your cinema display.

4. tttexxan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple newton if I get the new 17inch is that the same with what you are using?? when you refered to this quote

Although if you get a uMBP 17" with i think its the 9C98 is alittle bit less than upto par than the display i have which is the 9C99.

Or were you refereing to one being matt and the other glossy...Im looking intor the matte screen.. Which is the one you use?

ALso did I mention that my old 15 inch battery like only last 45 min (and thats with a new battery purchased approx 3 mo ago from apple)

what type of battery life are you guys seeing

Thanks for the comments

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Some have different screen makes it seems if you google up on those you will find some more info. to be honest theyre not horribly different, and there is no guarantee which model you will receive...but lately it seems alot more 9C99 models have been produced.

I have the Glossy/Glass version and I love it.

Wow thats horrible battery life for a new 3month battery. a 2.2Ghz Santa-Rosa MBP lasted 3-4hrs and it was almost 2yrs old.

15" uni-body battery life:
    9400GT video card - half brightness, keys not illuminated; 3.5hrs-5hrs
    9600 graphics card - half brightness or alittle less, no illuminated keys; 3-4.5hours (i got some good abttery life out of it on higher settings)

17" unibody battery life
    9400Gt - half brightness (i keep it on half most if im not working, since its a bright and sharp display...really amazing to me :p), illuminated keys turned off - 7-8hrs

9600GT - half brightness or less, no illuminated keys, 5.5hrs-7.5hours

the new batteries in these systems are awesome.
    Usually i keep my systems plugged in, but when theyre not on battery its minimal web browsing, iPhoto, iMovie and Aperture editing and wait till i can use a power source to use Photoshop and other high end apps.

i keep most of mystuff on a timecapsule & external drive connected to a TC so i dont drain power via usb or any other excess peripherals.