new mac book pro for photographers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cruz5, Jul 5, 2012.

1. cruz5 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am very new to this. I needed a new laptop, so I switched to a mac book pro. I have the mac pro that I use for my work (photos) and love it. I bought my mac book pro on June 10th at best buy. On the 11th they upgraded the old once and the new one came out :(. I got a good price for this one. Is a good idea to return this one and get the new one? It is worth the extra money and hassle? I think the return policy is 30 days at best buy.
    :confused:

2. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

Yes.

3. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Absolutely, positively, without question, return it and replace it with the newest model. You'll be happier immediately, and in the years to come when it's speed and performance holds up to your needs. And if you pick up the Retina screen MacBook Pro, you'll be amazed at the difference in clarity. Do it. Run. Go now. Seriously. :D

4. MacBird macrumors 6502

It depends, what programs are you using for image processing most? From what I have read, Adobe will only update CS6 'sometime later this year.' Could you use an external monitor for important work in the meantime? Do you use plugins such as NIK?

5. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

True, but he never specified a RMBP, and they do have new models of the "regular" which could suit him fine as well. Even still, if his choice is a non Retina, I still say swap it out for the newest model.

6. MacBird macrumors 6502

Yes, when the choice is between 2011 MBP and the new non-retina, then definitely get the 2012 model. If the OP considers the retina MBP then I would be back at 'it depends.' :)

7. cruz5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I run photoshop cs5 , lightroom and few plug inns on photoshop. Will the retina mess with the colors? Although I do most of my work on the mac tower with a now glare screen. This is to travel with and some work. This mac book pro has lots of storage. The lower end retina model has a third of the storage. so many things to think of. Is it worth to pay more for more storage? :confused:

8. stevelam macrumors 65816

if you need the storage, then yes its worth it. if not, then no.

9. Rohebot macrumors newbie

Amount of storage should not be a deciding factor for buying a rMBP. As a photographer you should look into external storage. Retina does not mess with colours.

10. MacBird macrumors 6502

Just keep in mind that you might have to update to CS6 if you get the retina display. It's not about the colors but the upscaling would make processing images difficult before CS6 is updated, unless you use an external monitor running at native resolution.

As for storage, getting a USB 3.0 external hard drive for storage might work well.

11. cruz5 thread starter macrumors newbie

The colors are so bright with the retina display. I had to get a non glare monitor and calibrate that monitor so the colors will look the same on the print. Can I calibrate the retina monitor?

12. MacBird macrumors 6502

Yes, you can calibrate laptop displays. Colors look more vibrant in general on displays that are not matte. The 'classic' MBP has a matte version, the retina does not.

13. kis macrumors 65816

I would NOT recommend the rMBP for professional photographers at this time. Wait until all necessary apps have been updated to support the high res display!

14. terrymaz macrumors regular

Im not a pro photographer but i can tell you when i open up the same RAW photo in Aperture on my MBPR i just received and my 09 MBP..........WOW !!!! The difference is amazing !!!! I'd get the retina. :D

15. MacBird macrumors 6502

Aperture is retina-aware, most other photography programs not yet.

16. cruz5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't use Nik. I use topaz, imagenonic portraiture. Lightroom. I want to make sure I get the right machine. I have a few more days to decide. Retina or not?

----------

rMBP? is that retina? You think I should get the new non retina mac book pro and wait for the apps to catch up first?

17. prfrma macrumors regular

Go to a store and try them out.

Definitely ditch your 2011 MBP though.

18. cruz5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will return it tomorrow. Still confused on what to get. The retina or the upgraded mac book pro.

19. kis macrumors 65816

yes - I'm a photographer who bought the retina. While I love the screen, it's not usable for professional work right now because there's simply no telling whether pictures are sharp until Lightroom and Photoshop + all the other photo tools have been upgraded to use the new display. Right now, I have it attached to an external display for image editing.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're debating whether or not to get a Retina MacBook Pro, at the very least return your current one and get the updated regular 15" MacBook Pro.

21. kis macrumors 65816

agreed

22. moclippa macrumors member

I disagree with the folks here that are arguing you should buy the standard over the Retina. Yes there are some issues with Retina and some apps right now, some of these issues may interfere with your professional editing work in the short term. However I believe the majority of these issues across your prime apps, such as the Adobe suite, should be resolved within less than a month or two at most, at which point (if Aperture today is an example) you will have one of the best monitors on the market to be working on your photographs with. Considering the life cycle of the product before you invest in a new one is 2-5 years (depending on your spending habit) and since pixel density can be a great boon to your work, I'd say rMBP is the way to go.

The Apps will catch up sooner than you expect, mosey in competitive spaces such as photography software, where Apple has already shot across Adobe's very capable bow by coming out with a first release on Aperture for Retina, which will cause Adobe to invest in a Retina upgrade of their software (likely starting with Lightroom first, and Photoshop next.

23. kis macrumors 65816

I'm not saying anything else. however, most pros need their gear now and not in 6 months or even a year. right NOW, the rMBP is not a good choice for professional photographers, unless you're planning on using it with an external monitor anyway. But in that case, you can just as well buy the non-retina version and save a few bucks.

24. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Depends on how much you saved with the previous model.

All comes down to cost. You might end up paying more for the extra speed and features you do not need. Your money, your choice.

25. stevelam macrumors 65816

"less than a month or two at most?" thanks for pulling random facts from your ass but adobe have commented that photoshop retina is scheduled to be near the end of the year (so another 6 months or so). and who knows for the rest of the adobe lineup.