Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hhhh4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Hi picked up a mbp on store today with 3 years applecare plunged it in charge battery to full setup everything i was downloading some apps on mac store video chat on skyp(abut 1h) and safari open the mbp battery lasted only abut 2.5 h and it got hot at the end where the battery is the temperature went to constant 80 processor usage was abut 20% and all apps were almost 0% on activity monitor

is that normal on mbp ? im a heavy user but never owned a mbp before

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi picked up a mbp on store today with 3 years applecare plunged it in charge battery to full setup everything i was downloadable some apps on mac store video chat on skyp(abut 1h) and safari open the mbp battery lasted only abut 2.5 h and it got hot at the end where the battery is the temperature went to constant 80 processor usage was abut 20% and all apps were almost 0% on activity monitor

It's normal on a new Mac. Chances are Spotlight is indexing your drive, which will put high demands on your system, which also produces heat and drains battery faster. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

For performance issues, there are a few things you can check:
  • Check your Login Items under System Preferences > Accounts to see what you have automatically launching.
  • Also check /Library/LaunchAgents/ and /Users/yourusername/Library/LaunchAgents/ for items launching at startup
  • Look at what widgets you may have running.
  • Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.
  • Take a look at the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor to see if you have excessive "page outs", a sign that you may benefit from more RAM.
  • Make sure you're not running any 3rd party antivirus app, as many of those will drain resources, reducing performance. They're not needed to protect your Mac.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see what apps may be placing high demands on your CPU/GPU.

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
Video calling on Skype and MacBooks don't go well together. The processor just works so hard, which drains the battery really fast and makes it really warm.

Hhhh4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
hi thanks for replays will give it some days usage and see if things improve since i only used it for 2.5 h just was strange coming from windows laptops they start to heat up after a few months of usage they run prefect the first time

thanks will report back after few days :)

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Hi picked up a mbp on store today with 3 years applecare plunged it in charge battery to full setup everything i was downloading some apps on mac store video chat on skyp(abut 1h) and safari open the mbp battery lasted only abut 2.5 h and it got hot at the end where the battery is the temperature went to constant 80 processor usage was abut 20% and all apps were almost 0% on activity monitor

wow.....Ever heard of periods and complete sentences? I had to read that three times! ;)

I agree with TheJing. Skype was probably the major drain that caused your battery to drain more quickly. Also -- what is/was the brightness setting you had a the time? Screen brightness can really drain the battery too...keeping it at 50% or less when on battery power can provide some noticeable improvement in comparison to a higher setting.

Hhhh4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
wow.....Ever heard of periods

I heard of them but never had one since im male .Jk lol English is not my first langue sorry

I agree with TheJing. Skype was probably the major drain that caused your battery to drain more quickly. Also -- what is/was the brightness setting you had a the time? Screen brightness can really drain the battery too...keeping it at 50% or less when on battery power can provide some noticeable improvement in comparison to a higher setting.

Brghtness was at full most of the time the battery gave me strange readings 11 h at the begging then went to 7 then to 3 and lasted only abut 2.5h what is the best i can achieve with the battery with the low settings? thanks

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
I tried to drain mine as fast as I could the other day. I have a 2011 Macbook Pro 13" i5.

Full brightness, usb fan plugged in, external hard drives plugged in, wifi on, bluetooth on, keyboard on full brightness, mobile broadband plugged in and the fans at 6000RPM while watching youtube videos...

It lasted about 2 hours I think.

Hhhh4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I tried to drain mine as fast as I could the other day. I have a 2011 Macbook Pro 13" i5.

Full brightness, usb fan plugged in, external hard drives plugged in, wifi on, bluetooth on, keyboard on full brightness, mobile broadband plugged in and the fans at 6000RPM while watching youtube videos...

It lasted about 2 hours I think.

Thanks for that just booted it up ageing tenp 40 % just using safari i can hear the fans thou also battery has 11 cycles health 99 is that normal ?

sorry for stupid questions this is my first mac and want it to be prefect

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for that just booted it up ageing tenp 40 % just using safari i can hear the fans thou also battery has 11 cycles health 99 is that normal ?

sorry for stupid questions this is my first mac and want it to be prefect
Your questions are answered in my post.

zaxdude

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
I heard of them but never had one since im male .Jk lol English is not my first langue sorry

Hilarious comeback given English isn't your first language! :D

And turn that brightness level down when on battery -- 100% is way too much or else you are begging to have poor battery life.

Hhhh4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I tested it out for some days love the design and the os

The battery only gives me 6h or 7h without anything runing when i have safari and chrome it gives me only 3h no where near the 7h advertised but i can live with that .

The main issue is the heat did a fresh lion instal no change when waching youtube videos 720p and 1080p the heat jumps to 80C it even went to 90C you can't keep this thing in your lap it will burn you . I'm even scared to test this thing with games if is gose 80C with 20% cpu usage it will explode if i max out the cpu ,i tested uberstrike HD from the app store the fans went crazy and the cpu went to 85 within minutes imagine running a proper game .

I have tow options now return it for a refund since I'm on my 14 days or get a new one , no point in rplacing if I'm going to have a same issue i don't want a laptop that can only handle safari without burning your lap please advice thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The battery only gives me 6h or 7h without anything runing when i have safari and chrome it gives me only 3h no where near the 7h advertised but i can live with that .

The main issue is the heat did a fresh lion instal no change when waching youtube videos 720p and 1080p the heat jumps to 80C it even went to 90C you can't keep this thing in your lap it will burn you . I'm even scared to test this thing with games if is gose 80C with 20% cpu usage it will explode if i max out the cpu ,i tested uberstrike HD from the app store the fans went crazy and the cpu went to 85 within minutes imagine running a proper game .
There's nothing wrong with your Mac, and there's no reason to return it. I addressed all your concerns in my earlier post. Your temps and battery life are normal, considering the workload on your Mac. It will not burn up or explode. If it ever truly overheats, it will simply shut down. Read my earlier post for details.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
I have tow options now return it for a refund since I'm on my 14 days or get a new one , no point in rplacing if I'm going to have a same issue i don't want a laptop that can only handle safari without burning your lap please advice thanks.

They all get warm. It's not an issue, as GGJstudios explained, but if this makes you feel uncomfortable, just give it back and buy a different computer.

Chrome will kill your battery a bit faster, with Safari I easily get 6-7 hours. Watching HD videos, in particular flash driven, is a quite demanding task, and will heat up your laptop and drain the battery. This is mostly an issue with flash, not with MacBooks.

Gaming is fine, it gets hot, but you don't want to game on your lap, do you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.