New Mac Book Pro - Keeping Software On Older Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dukesup1978, May 10, 2010.

1. dukesup1978 macrumors newbie

I am getting a new MBP, however, I have software on my older Mac that I would like on my new MBP. Is there anyway to be able to use/transfer the programs if one has registered them online? Or does a new computer require a new installation disc and serial? Anyway I can install w/o original discs -My installation discs are at my parents home on the east coast, I recently moved to the west coast and don't have them with me. I can have them send them to me, but if my older computer is registered, can I register a new one?

After buying a new MBP, I can not afford to now go out and buy the software again! The software I am most concerned about having for work/school:

Microsoft Word

Final Draft

Final Cut Pro

Thanks in advance!!

2. tlinford macrumors regular

tlinford

Time Machine.

Have you got leopard on your older Mac. The absolutely best way to transfer software, is from a time-machine back up on an external hard drive.

if running leopard you create a time machine back-up. Then when you switch on your new machine you are given options, one of which is to restore from a time machine back-up. This will transfer applications and data. It will carry all your licences across, so there is not need to reregister you applications.... it's brilliant!

3. dukesup1978 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have leopard. Do I need to purchase anything additional to do this time-machine back up? Can you direct me to any tutorials on how to do this?

- PowerBook G4. 1.5 GHz owerPCG4. Version 10.5.8
    - Final Cut Pro 7, Microsoft Office 2008 ver 12.1.7, Final Draft 7
    - OS X Leopard

Thanks for the help.

4. zemoleman macrumors member

zemoleman

Try Migration Assistant First

Boot the old computer in FireWire Target Disk mode (hold down T key on startup) and hook it up to the new Mac. Make sure that you have installed Rosetta on the new computer just in case. All your apps should transfer, gulp, flawlessly. All of this is doable the first time you boot the new computer or even afterwards via Migration Assistant in Applications->Utilities.

5. dukesup1978 thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome, I'm very relieved! I was worried I was not going to be able to transfer the programs, instead, it sounds easy and painless! Very happy, thank you all for the help.

6. dukesup1978 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would I be able to do this on a computer on Tiger? The computer that I have FCP is on my 10.4 Tiger.

also, not familiar with Rosetta. What is that?

thank you.

7. zemoleman macrumors member

zemoleman

Rosetta/Migration Asst.

Read about Rosetta here: http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

You wouldn't run Migration Assistant FROM the computer running Tiger. You run it on the new computer (assuming 10.6.x Snow Leopard or 10.5 Leopard). I believe your FC Pro will transfer but there may be some necessary updating to do or even a reinstall (FC Pro can be a tricky thing as you may well know).