New Mac Book Pro , WoW and Fan Noise

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by James Craner, Oct 18, 2008.

1. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I have a early 2007 MBP 2.4GHz - I don't like playing WoW on it, because after 10 mins the fans start to speed up. After 15-20 mins the fans sound like they are going full pelt and the noise becomes very noticeable. How are the new MBP's ? I have seen a few posts saying the frame rate is pretty good, but no comments about fan speed / noise. Does the fan noise depend on the graphics chip being used?

As noise can be subjective my MBP fans normal idling speed is 2000 RPM (silent), after a few mins of playing WoW the fans get up to 5300 RPM. At that point I am half expecting a voice to come out of the speakers -'Please fasten your belts for takeoff'.

2. tiselday macrumors member

Same here. I have a 2006 17" Macbook Pro (2.33 MHz, X1600) and the fans drive me crazy.

I don't know if you are aware of this, but there is a built-in framerate limit in WoW. Using:

/console maxfps 20

for instance, limits your FPS to 20, and due to the less load, the machine stays at around 2000 rpm, thus bearable.

Of couse, it is a shame to play at 20 FPS in such a expensive machine, but that's another matter.