New Mac book Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hudsonar, Mar 7, 2011.

1. hudsonar macrumors newbie

Can anybody help please...

I picked up a New 13" Macbook pro on Saturday along with a TC, I am using a BT home hub 2.0 and I am have the following problems can anybody help please...

Problem one: My old MAcbook and macbook air can connect to the internet through the BT Homehub no problem, my new MBP can see the BT HH but cannot connect to the internet. it saiys Im connected to the HH and the oter machines have no issues on getting onto the Internet but the New MBP cannot.

I have check all the settings in my MB and MBA the only difference is that in the screen where server ip is listed on the ones that are connecteing they have a ip address whihc was automaticly assigned, I have tried to manually input this input but it will not connect

Can anybody help?

Problem 2:

With The TC i have tried to connect it in several ways but I am confussed if it shoudl be connect as a bridge or set up a new wireless network?

Because the BT HH cannot be turned, off I will only be able to use the TC as a back up and central storage soloution, I was hoping it woudl boost the wifi on the network but I now know that wont be possible.

Any body help on this one?

Best regards

2. Locodice macrumors regular

Problem 1: Sounds like maybe its a clash of IP addresses? If its seeing the hub and connected to it but can't get online that might be the issue (although I'm no expert)

Problem 2: AFAIK the TC (I'm assuming you are referring to the Time Capsule) is a router all on its own; in other words it replaces the BT home hub.

3. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Firstly i would like to say the HomeHub is a horrible piece of crap! I put up with mine for two years before my Mrs bought me an actual decent router for christmas.

Anyway, log into your homehub and in the settings make sure you have not set the hub to only allow connections from MAC addresses that you specify.

On the mac make sure that your network settings are DHCP and not manual.

Without actually seeing it i cant really figure it out but the homehub is crap i am afraid!

4. hudsonar thread starter macrumors newbie

In your opinion what shoudl I replace it with Im not that impressed with it,

5. Locodice macrumors regular

Maybe the Time Capsule you've bought?

6. hudsonar thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry my experience with this is that I need a router or something as the tc CANNOT PLUG Directly as it needs to have something like a router? or something am I correct or do I need to buy just a cheap basic router?

I am trying but am now feeling out of my depth

7. RandomNinjaAtk macrumors member

Time Capsule is an Airport Extreme Base Station with a HDD added into it. It is a router. So yes you can use this device instead like Locodice stated. Unless you have a coax connection that you have to hook up, because it was like a router provided to you by your internet provider, then you will need to get a modem, so you can then run the coax -> modem -> time capsule (via ethernet).

8. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

If you can get the hub working stick with it.

You cannot use the time capsule because it is just a router, you need a modem/router since your internet connection comes out the phone line.

other people that just use cable or others just need the router so could use a time capsule on its own to provide internet to there house wirelessly.

Try going into your homehubs settings and checking what method of security is turned on, does it ask you for a password to connect to the wireless? can you connect your new laptop via an ethernet cable and get a connection?

9. hudsonar thread starter macrumors newbie

To access the router I need to type a WPA password, i will try hooking it up directly to the HH

if not I guess I woudl buy a cheap moden and then try again
    this was supposed to be simple

10. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Make sure none of your other laptops or devices are assigned a specific IP address, that could cause a IP conflict.

Take all security OFF and see if you can connect to the wireless when its completely open, then if you can turn your security back on and try connecting with the password.

You could go down the phone line > modem > time capsule route too if none of this works, the TC is great so it would be viable!

11. hudsonar thread starter macrumors newbie

If I change for the HH does anybody know a good modem that would allow the basic functions to enable the TC to become my primary router?

Many thanks

12. jenzjen macrumors 68000

I'm in the US so unfamiliar with the HH thing, but here's what I think you can do based on what you wrote:

You need to connect the TC to HH in bridge mode

I'm guessing the HH does not support 11N, so if you cannot turn off the wireless on the HH, no problem, just setup a wireless network that will only be used by your non-N devices

Setup a N-only network with the TC with a DIFFERENT name from the HH created network

End result, now you will have TC working fine along with 2 wireless networks, 1 to support only N clients and another to support slower non-N clients