New Mac-buyer concerned

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mircera, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Mircera macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Im currently on a Windows computer and planning on taking the first step into the world of MAC soon.

As most of you, i have been waiting eagerly for Oct 14th.

I have some fears that i would like to have some comments on. I hear alot about "Dont get rev. A", now my english isnt my native language but i guess it has something to do with hardware faults etc.

It would really be sad if i chose to buy my first mac to find out that it has alot of faults.

What are you guys experiences on this topic? Should i wait a few days for the first reports to drop in or just go for it?

-Kind regards

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

as far as i know, and i might be wrong, but the only time you should really be worried about Rev. A products is if it is a totally brand new product...with totally different hardware...take the PPC->Intel transition, that was huge, and that was why most Rev. A MacBooks had some problems...

but this time around i dont think you should worry much...i mean, the casing is probably the biggest thing that i can see them changing, other than all the hardware improvements...well actually, now that i think about it, if they go with the nVidia chips like everyone is saying they will...we'll just have to see how that goes, but im pretty sure that the whole faulty GPU thing is over with if they go with the newer chips...

3. Mircera thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds great mate, thanks alot for your help. Now im looking forward to tuesday even more! :) Altho ill propably wait a day or two to see the reviews :)

4. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Well just remember if you're too worried about Rev. A products (I don't know what type of problems there would be but I've heard the same type of stuff you have) there will probably be refurbished current gen. on the apple online store going for pretty cheap compared to the new ones and as far as the specs are concerned they probably won't be that far off from the new ones

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You shouldn't have too many problems. Although if you're really worried, it couldn't hurt to wait a few weeks after they start shipping for reviews.

6. deriko100 macrumors 6502

I would say get the new ones if you get one now you'll be like awww they have a new ________ mac and i dont, if you fell in love with a certain computer and your not sure if your gonna like the other get the certain computer you fell in love with its like falling in love with someone and then the other person gets replaced by somebody else, are you gonna fall in love with the new person or the person you've always loved?

7. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I wouldn't exactly call the new macbooks/macbook pros REV A. They're more of an evolution with a different case than the previous ones.

That said, a refurb is a good choice as well. You'll be able to save quite abit there and use it on ram or apple care.

8. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Umm...macs and humans are two completely different thing. There are no real advantage that an old mac has over a newer one, but the person you've always loved could be a better person than the new beau.

To the OP, do you have an Apple store close to you? If so, buy with confidence. If anything happens, just return it to them. For the most parts, problematic machines are in the minority.

9. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Im just comparing it to a situation.

10. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Even if the new MB/MBPs were built with Nvidia chipsets?

11. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Tell that to the people stuck with buying a MBP with a better than average rate of failure on their GPUs

12. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

sure no problem :D

yeah im probably gonna wait as well...seeing as i get paid that saturday, so ill wait to order one until then ;) hopefully reviews will get out within that week

13. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Manufacturing defects are unforeseeable, and those MBPs are also getting exchanged/repaired. Can't really say the same about human character.
    Also, out of everyone that bought MBPs over it's entire lifespan, mostly they were models who offered improvement over the previous. It's just the machines right now that have problems, it's not a problem that persisted since the new generation has been introduced.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly. If the new models don't appeal to you, I'd suggest that you look at the refurb models as they can offer excellent value. In general, they come with generous discounts, the Apple warranty (which can be upgraded to Applecare), and rigorous testing.

Unless a brand new product has just been released (such as the first iPod, the MBA, etc, which are genuinely original and creative) Apple tends to offer incremantal changes to its line up. Welcome to the world of Apple and whatever computer you get is one which you will enjoy.
    Cheers and good luck

15. Ross1308 macrumors member

I dont know what to think really and i dont really care, i just bought a MacBook Yesterday the 13-inch white one and the specs seem good enough for what i need it for a ram upgrade is in order and thats all i want, I think people buy the new MacBooks basically for the fact of saying "Hey i got the latest macbook" which will probably not be any different and have as many problems as old macbook's, i really cant see Apple developing a product and testing it for months upon months, for them its easier to make it, play with it, sell it, exchange it, and let the people find out whats wrong. No company will ever release somthing which dosnt have problems and some combiniations of hardware just dont go at all.

16. ascender macrumors 68000

I've bought a few so-called Rev A spec Macs over the last 10 years and the only problem I can remember was the random graphics glitches with the first of the Alu iMacs which was fixed by a patch. There seems to be a train of thought that you shouldn't touch these with a bargepole, but I also know quite a few people who have disregarded that and bought without any problems. I wouldn't be put off at all. Besides, buying a later machine is no guarantee that any issues have been identified or fixed by then. You still get a year's warranty and you can still extend it to 3 years, so I'd quit the worrying and buy something if you like the look of it.

17. Ross1308 macrumors member

x2 to that, completely agree with what he says, No-one should worry with a years warranty, Apple usually identify most problems within the first 2 months or less and offer fixes, repairs for them, Tbh if no one bought the "Rev A" macs Apple would not have progressed as far, only thanks to its customers (us) is this possible.

18. redmeister macrumors 6502

yea i dont think there'd be many problems. but i'd agree with the apple refurb store recommendation if you're unsure

19. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

recent switcher

i switched in feb. i will never go back. just get apple care and you will be fine.