New Mac buyer questions...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Poseidon, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

Some basic questions as a potential new Mac Buyer:

1) My Mac won't be used for anything high-powered (beyond the occasional game); with that in mind am I wasting my money buying a 2.8 GHZ IMac? Obviously it would be nice, especially since I keep my computers for many years, but I'm wondering what others think...

2) Anyone had personal experience with either Small Dog Electronics or Expercom? Both are online sites with fairly competitive prices and a nice selection and I've looked at both for buying an IMac.

Thanks!

2. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I think that in general, the longer you plan on keeping a machine, the more worthwhile it is to buy the fastest processor you can. This will increase the longevity more than any other aspect of an otherwise equal computer.

If you can get away with spending more money on a faster processor now, you can later buy a faster, larger hard drive and more ram to obtain another speed boost.

If you flip machines quickly, though, buying the top of the line computer is probably less worthwhile, as the premium price for the fastest processor won't bring enough value in the short time you'll have it.

Just my $0.02.

3. freewill macrumors newbie

FWIW, I've bought cables and such at Small Dog Electronic's store in Waitsfield, Vermont--it's been there quite a few years. No experience with them on-line, or for a big system purchase, but the people and dogs in the store were cool.

YMMV