Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SwitchingSoon

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
Saint Louis, MO
goodknight411 said:
What school are you going to? i had a "you can't use a mac here" problem with mine but i think it's worked out.
I suggest BTO the 15" superdrive, because when you take out the superdrive, and add/remove stuff you need/don't need, the cost can be a couple hundred less than the combo-drive. That's what i did. Don't know if it'll work for you.

two knights one after the other from Arkansas?? what arre the chances..

Anyways, i've never had my own mac before (just ordered one) so i couldn't help you.

Honestly, I wouldn't be able to stand the 14" because they have the same resolution as the 12 inchers... i would look into a 12" power book

Mem

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Does anyone have the HP 5150 printer? I'm going to get it just because it'll be free after the rebate which is an awesome deal. HP printers are usually awesome I'm just wondering if anyone has any specific experience with this one?

gdl96

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2004
new jersey
Just curious...how much is the student version of MS Office for you? At my university's Apple store, it's $150, which seems dumb because I can get it cheaper at amazon.com.

Mem

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
On Apple.com it's $149.95. Thanks for pointing out that it's cheaper on Amazon. I'll buy it there instead.

And that Samsonite won't fit the powerbook 15 in. Any other backbacks that you recommend that will fit it without all the bells and whistles?

Mem

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Two options...

Option 1
PowerBook 1.33GHz (15.2" TFT)
512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
AirPort Extreme Card
1.33GHz PowerPC G4 with 64MB Graphics Memory
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
60GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200 rpm 065-4822
=$2,041.00

Option 2
PowerBook 1.5GHz (15.2" TFT)
1.5GHz PowerPC G4 with 64MB Graphics Memory
80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 4200 rpm
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM
AirPort Extreme Card
=$2,209.00

I'm leaning towards option 1, simply because option 2 seems like overkill, even though I do want this system to last. What do you think -it's such a tough decision. With option 1, I would be able to run Tiger in all it's glory, right? If not what configuration would I need for the system to last for a while without going overkill?

Thanks for pointing out the ibooks. If only they offered a 15 in screen with a better resolution I definately would have gotten that.

I'm going to order in probably about a week...if no promotions come up I'm not going to wait any longer.

gdl96

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2004
new jersey
The PB I figure I'm getting will be your option 1, but with a few differences. I plan to get the 80 gb 5400 rpm and only 256 mb RAM with 512 mb added from crucial for a total of 768 mb.

debo

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2004
You should really check with your schools bookstore/computer store for office. I got it from mine (UNC) for $20.

Mem

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
debo said:
You should really check with your schools bookstore/computer store for office. I got it from mine (UNC) for $20.

Thanks, I checked and they're selling it for 149.95, just like Apple. :( So I'll be getting it from Amazon along with the Panther Manual.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.