new mac buyer's got a few questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Brows, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Brows macrumors member

First time buyer here,

Got the funds to go ahead and buy a MBP 15" and was wondering :

-if its worth it to go basic and upgrade the ram aftermarket or go with the apple store ram?

-also is it worth it to get the applecare? like i said first time mac buyer and i just don't know

Thanks
    :confused:

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

If you are relatively comfortable taking the bottom plate off of a MacBook Pro, then you should be ok. Apple does publish instructions on how you can perform memory and hard drive upgrades. The process is not very difficult. Just make sure you get the right screwdriver and follow the instructions.

Aftermarket RAM is cheaper. Just make sure you get the right kind. I don't know what that is for these MacBook Pros, but the information will soon be publicly available.

Regarding Applecare, you have a year to decide to get it, for warranty purposes. In addition, it gets you free phone support (past initial 90 days), and lets you additionally insure a Cinema Display, if you buy one with your MacBook Pro, for the same Applecare price.

If you do buy Applecare, buy it off Amazon (or eBay, or similar) since it'll be cheaper. Make sure you buy it from a reputable seller to avoid a ripoff.