new mac buying advice....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by masterjedi73, Jun 8, 2010.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

OK. So I read the two threads below me about G5 updating, and my question is similar. I just didn't want to hijack their threads. Send me back there if my question is answered.

I'm planning on selling the two machines listed in my signatures, and will probably upgrade with a macbook and a mac mini. The question I have is about the macbooks. I don't really know too much about them. How "out of date" are 2007 models in terms of functionality etc.? (don't say two years...lol) I'm not really familiar with the differences in speed and stuff on the Intel macs.

I just figure it's time to get out of the PowerPC world.

Thanks in advance.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The out-of-date-ness depends on your needs. I know many people who are perfectly fine with their 2006/7 Macs, as they still fulfill their needs.

So what are yours?

I assume you want a used model to save some money? Have you also taken a look at the Apple Online Refurbished Store?

3. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Well i've definitely used mine for digital video in imovie and final cut pro. I've also started using ableton live for my music production. But cost is an issue.....hence the mini over a powermac tower.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you need two computers for that?

What about a refurb or used MacBook Pro? It can be connected to an external monitor, which you most likely already have?

5. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Two because my wife and I are never at home at the same time, and one of us always uses the laptop at work. We're on opposite shifts. Makes for an interesting marriage. lol

Yes, I have a monitor already. I'm going to look at the refurbs when I get the cash together and see what's available. Is a macbook pro a lot more powerful than a macbook?

6. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Essentially, I've got some new music equipment that doesn't work on PPC macs., so I have to upgrade. I just sold my iBook...it was hard to let it go. :(

7. toffa813 macrumors regular

It sounds like you use your mac +audio/video software for work (and therefore make money). I think you should give the refurbished store a look as your Macbook will be an investment that will help you in your job and get everything done faster and more efficiently, and hopefully help you make more money.

But in the end, if you can't afford a newer one, an older model should work fine. I just got rid of an 06 Macbook (1.83ghz, 2gb ram) and it still ran most things pretty well, so ultimately an 07 or later will work for you I think

8. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

Well, I do use it for work but I don't directly make money from it. I'm a music teacher. It's primarily for projects etc...lol.

thanks for the info. that's what I was looking for.

9. jim4spam macrumors member

I agree with the above post. I've a 07 iMac (2.4Ghz) and an 07 MacBook (2.13ghZ), and they both run ilife 09 well, I do video editing occasionally on either and it's good enough. Make sure that RAM and harddisk are big enough for your uses - those machines back then had smaller drives.

10. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

OK. I bit the bullet and purchased a new mac mini. I got the 320gb HD, which is very small for what I need, but then so is the 500. I have a 1TB drive that I can put into an enclosure. Is that generally a better idea than purchasing an external HD new? Are internal drives more reliable than external drives?

11. Baycon macrumors member

The advantage in already having a drive and putting it in an enclosure, is that you're in control of which drive you're using. If that 1TB drive is a good quality one (quick google search will tell you that) it may last longer than a "no-name" drive that may be in an external HDD.

However, I have a feeling that HDD kept outside of the computer tend to fail quicker /*more often because people move them around, or connect + disconnect them constantly. They're essentially a bunch of tightly packed moving discs...so just keep your external drive out of reach (if possible), and it should last a while :)