New mac; can't get internet

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by theslaz, Dec 25, 2010.

1. theslaz macrumors 6502

Old fart here that has been using a P.C. for past twenty years. Decided to try the Apple route and surprised myself with a new Mac for Xmas. So far I am pleased; however; I can't get it to connect to the internet. There is no normal connection available where I am. I'm at the mother-in-laws and she doesn't have a internet connection. ( It does show 4 or 5 secure connections from the neighbors ) I therefore tried tethering through my Iphone 4 ( this is how I am connected to the internet now via my PC laptop ) and it doesn't show a thing on the Mac. About all I get is a chime indicating that I have connected a device. I tried through the Blue tooth connection; I did get the two paired and seeing each other; but no internet connection. I also have a internet stick ( Novatel Broadband2Go ) that I tried; it loaded itself unto the Mac; but I was not able to get a connection. ( I do know that it was mentioned in the setup for this stick that there are some special settings for a Mac to be made; just haven't researched yet today to see what those could be !) I also have a USB adapter that I use on my PC for boosting the WiFi signal. When I plug this into the Mac; Nothing; not a beep; or a light on the adapter to show that it is connected.
    What could I be doing wrong???

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Well, usually those broadband sticks require special software, so if you're not on the internet, you can't grab that.

Secondly, How are you tethering to your PC? Via USB cable? Does that mean you're paying for AT&T's tethering service then?

Here's apple's page on tethering troubleshooting: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2756

You may need to do what they say and disable the ethernet or similar... (don't forget that you've done this by the way! You will need to make it active later!)

Also, when you connect your phone to your mac, does the blue internet tethering bar appear on the phone? Does it appear when you connect to your PC?

3. theslaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your quick reply