New mac: Clean software transfer from old one without useless stuff

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smarter, Jul 30, 2008.

1. smarter macrumors member

Hello,

I'm planning on buying a new mac mini mid september.

Right now I have an imac G5 isight 1.9ghz.

I have a lot of software on It witch I want to keep (Office, Aperture 2, Limewire Pro etc.) Also all of my photography (+7.000 pics) and my itunes library (+2.500 tracks) are on my imac right now. Off course all of my settings and passwords for internet and e-mail also need to be transfered.

I know I can clone my current mac when I first connect a new mac.

Now my question: Is it also possible to leave unnecessary software behind? For example: I have a lot of software from my previous digital camera's. Besides that I've downloaded some software witch seemed useful at the time but never used them after all.

So: Is there a trick for a custom transfer of my files so I can make a clean start with my new mac without having to configure all my accounts again?

2. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

The times I did the migration assistant, I did it as an out of the box setup. I can't recall if there was a way to choose specific apps to transfer, from what I recall, you just click the boxes of the parts you want transfered, ie. Users, Network Settings, Applications, etc,etc..

You may be better off just getting the new computer, setting it up (users, settings, etc) after it's setup. Restart it in Target mode, go to Disc Utility on your old mac and transfer the apps off like that. Doing it that way you can pick which apps and files you want..

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Delete the unneeded software from the old machine before doing the Migration Assistant.

I have had pretty good luck with the Migration Assistant bringing over Apps and their authorizations.

4. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

That works also!!! ;)

And I absolutely love migration assistant.. haven't had a problem with it yet..
    *knock on wood*

5. osin macrumors 6502

I did use Migration Assistant recently and on some applications from Adobe I was asked to reenter the serials...