new mac convert needs help mac wont boot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hustlerpete, Aug 1, 2008.

1. hustlerpete macrumors newbie

Hi. I am a new mac convert. I was system 7 certified several years ago but since then had been concentrating on Microsoft stuff.

Glad to be back.. I have a Macbook Air, love it!!
    running 10.5.4 (fullyupdated)

I installed quicksilver. restarted system and get (after you type your credentials to log in) "you need to restart your computer".

I started up off of app disk and ran disk utils.. fixed volume and permissions.. didnt help.

running parallels, office 08, ilife 08, nothing real crazy..

finally got all my spaces set up properly, apps are now opening up in the correct space.. autostarting several apps.. very happy so far.

as I said above, installed quicksilver and now experiencing the problem.

I restart system holding shift key down and that works.

being new to the mac scene again, can someone give me some guidance as to what I should try next.

I really have been feeling good about the unix/mac os.. not having to do the windows "back and whack".. apps installations/uninstalls ..

I really love this mac and the time and effort I put into building it.. I would hate to lose all the stuff I done.

desperate to get get a fix.

ohh yea.. and I tried deleting the quicksilver app and test, same thing.. are there maybe quicksilver "helper" type files that could be causing this?

Thanks much.

Pete

2. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but not really clear what you're experiencing. Keeps saying "you need to restart your computer"?

Regardless, I would get DiskWarrior and rebuild your directory. I'd bet the house and farm that solves the problem.

3. hustlerpete thread starter macrumors newbie

the exact error is listed here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107061

apparently, this is the "BSOD" for mac.

There has to be some utility or something? I mean isnt this OS supposed to be bulletproof?

hard to believe I will have to wipe it.

PLEASE.. I really need your help.. I cant reformat, nor will I spend lots of money for something..

While booted holding down the shift key, the machine seems to be operating perfectly.. its only in regular mode. its got to be something loading during startup.. maybe that quicksilver put in.. how can I get it out?? How can I get a list of the things starting at startup?.. logs?? I wish I knew more!!

Thanks.
    Pete

4. The General macrumors 601