New Mac Convert needs help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by azdmelani, Oct 9, 2008.

1. azdmelani macrumors member

Hi all... my first post on here. Am waiting for the announcement on tuesday and am getting a new macbook.

is there a large difference between the 2.1 and 2.4 as far as the speed of the computer? Basically i will be using for basic email/pics/internet/itunes etc.

Is there a big difference between the 1GB and 2GB of ram in my case? is it possible to upgrade later?

Does the size of the hard drive matter for what I will be using it for? (120/160/250)

Clearly the figures can change based on the annoucement tuesday (I am hoping for a price drop as well) but would appreciate any help!

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

For normal day to day use, the CPU difference of .3 GHz won't make that much of a difference. However, RAM is more important and you should definitely be getting 2GB if you can afford it.

HD space depends on how much music and data you have. I have 80GB in my main machine, and I have exceeded that and had to buy an external drive. So I say 120GB is the min amount anybody should start with, and if you can afford it, go a bit more.

Check your current computer drive and how much space you are using, that should give you an idea if 120 will be enough or if you should get more.

my 2c and welcome aboard.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Don't bother with the 2.4 proc. Get at least 2GB RAM. HD will depend on just how many pics and music files you plan to have with you.

4. azdmelani thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much! Very very helpful.

If I buy from apple they can transfer files over from my PC at the store right?

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

They do a straight dump of your PC files over if you have USB on your PC (which you should). I think you should go for that Pro Care service they offer, $100, one hour a week for 52 weeks of one-on-one personal training and helping you get setup up. I think they include helping you convert your files over and bringing them to the proper applications.

That's like $2 per hour if you really use it, the cheapest training you can get! :eek: