New Mac Convert!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Andrew D., May 10, 2007.

1. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

So my finally arrived yesterday! I love this thing, I can't believe I didn't get one before my first year of college.. So yeah, I'm not really complaining that I have to learn this new OS.. I'm actually excited, it's fun to learn new things. But of course your going to hit some bumps and your gonna have to pull over for directions.. so I guess this is me pulling over, haha. Right now I just have a few questions, I tried searching but I guess I'm impatient, sorry. So here it goes:

1. I noticed some people have their hard drive info under the hard drive desktop icon, how do you enable that?
    2. On Safari, it sometimes logs/saves my login info.. how do I turn that off because some other people might be using my computer as well?
    3. Using Adium, how can you move contacts from one group into another; I tried but it won't let me?
    4. Does Apple Mail have any type of category browsing similar to gmail?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section or if it has been asked before.. I'm a newb Mac user.. sigh. Well thanks for reading everyone, I hope you can help! Thanks again in advance!

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

For hard drive info, right click(ctrl click) and show view options, then check show harddrive info.

Safari Preferences, go to Autofill, and un-check usernames/logins for it to forget usernames etc.

I dont use adium or gmail, so i cant help you there. Welcome to Mac!!

3. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks notsofatjames, but I'm still having problems with the hard drive info thing.. do I go to the Show View Options directly right clicking from the desktop or through finder? I can't find the Show Hard Drive Info option anywhere? Thanks again!

4. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

right click directly on the desktop, and check the box that says "Show Item Info" That shows the capacity used, and capacity available on any harddrives shown on the desktop.

5. Cindynjgirl79 macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

Welcome to the cult! i just got my MB back in dec. and i just love mine. you'll never go back to the pc again.

6. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

7. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

first of all, WELCOME! You'll find a ton of info on these boards and people are extremely friendly too.

About showing the HDD info, I highlighted the HDD, clicked the view button at the top in finder and then select "show item info", you may want to click this folder only (assuming you highlighted the HDD on your desktop beforehand)

Let me know if that helps. That's what i did last night.

8. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone! Got everything to work perfectly! Now another question, this might be a little off but here goes nothing:

I was wondering what it means about battery cycles? I just downloaded the iStat widget and it says I'm on cycle 2 or something. Is it good to charge the battery with least cycles or what? I don't really understand haha. Thanks again everyone!

9. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

everytime your battery goes through a full capacity of energy, it counts as one charge cycle. Eventually this decreases battery life. The more charge cycles you have, the lower the capacity. But its not something you can control. Unless you plug your laptop in all the time, which defeats the purpose of laptops.

10. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah ok so it's just one full use of a battery then. But since we are encouraged to calibrate the battery ever so often.. then that is when you would usually right? Or will it count as a cycle lets say if I use half my battery, plug it in charge it to full, use it again to half.. will that count as one cycle as well?

11. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

If you use it to half, charge it to full and use it to half again, thats One cycle. Having used one full amount of 'battery'. Theres not really a need to callibrate it that often. Only once a month or so.

12. Frosty1 macrumors member

congats on on ur new mac!!

I aswell just converted 3 days ago and im loving it as well!

13. Andrew D. thread starter macrumors 6502

So I've been on my MacBook for about 3 hours now.. and all of a sudden the fans start blowing louder? It reached up to 6000+ rpm on the iStat widget.. Is this normal or is this good for the computer? I got really scared but I stuck it through, haha. Thanks once again!

14. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

Thats just your mac being over burdened with all your work, and cooling itself down. It only happens to me if im Photoshopping for more than 15minutes, but in nomal use, it doesnt happen that often. Just try quitting some applications that your not using

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You might want to get more RAM, and consider upgrading all your apps to the Universal versions if you haven't already.

16. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

I don't know if this has been answered already, but you can click on the name you contact you want to move while pressing the command/apple key (to the left of the space bar), and you should be able to move the contact around to wherever you'd like on your buddy list!

Congrats on the new Mac, and enjoy it!

17. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Or just click and drag the name to the "top bar" of the other group. Say you have it under the "family" tag, just drag the contact to the "friends" tag.
    If you drag it on top of another contact it will ask is you want to combine the contacts and that's not what you want to do.

(Yet another) Congrats on the Mac!!!

18. WilDersh macrumors newbie

I'm switching over to an iMac after years of PCin'

I just got my iMac last Tuesday. I've been trying to set it up and use various programs (application). I have two problems.

I have a link cable that I used to transfer files from one PC to another. It is called PC-Link. It appears to the capability of connecting to a Mac also. The driver is called MAC Driver.tab.

Any idea as to what application opens up the .tab file?

I have used MLB.com to view baseball games on my PC, but I'm having a problem using the Mac. I have downloaded the Windows Media Player and used Stuffit to expand it and install it, but it doesn't work.

Does anyone watch baseball games on MLB that has an idea why I can't?

Thanks

Wil

19. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Try using Flip 4 Mac. It's a plugin for Quicktime to view WMV files.
    Not sure if it will work but it's normally the first thing to try.

i have no idea how to open a .tab file...sorry

20. talltree macrumors newbie

You didn't mention if you were allowing plenty of airflow around the Mac. Be sure it's not sitting on your bed covers, etc., and if it's just sitting on a table, it's best if you can prop it up somehow so that air gets a chance to flow underneath it. I usually find a small book or magazine to prop up the back edge with it. Not only keeps the fans off, it slightly tilts the keyboard, a good thing for my hand position.

Congrats on the new Mac. You're going to love the difference.

21. Michael7k macrumors member

Congratulations from another Newbee....I have loved mine

22. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Congrats.:) Always good to see people getting macs.:)

23. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I would not try using a USB cable for this. I don't know how to install a .tab file. I don't think those are for mac. I would recommend either a ethernet cable of firewire. You can get either of those pretty cheap.

24. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I second that...not sure why I didn't think of it. :p
    Both of those cables are faster too!

25. Mernak macrumors 6502

If you are doing something CPU and/or even Hard Drive intensive 6000 rpm is about right, but during normal use that only happens when there is barely any airflow. You could check Activity Monitor to see if programs are taxing the CPU.