New mac-Dont want to transfer all settings

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sweener88, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

Hey!
    My new MBP is arriving in a few hours and i have a 3yr old MBP. I would like to only transfer my itunes, safari, mail, iphoto and microsoft word files and settings. HOWEVER i really do not want to copy everything which i understand "migration assistant" does i just want these few things. Can anyone explain how to transfer only these 5 things? Thanks SOO MUCH in advance!!! :):apple:

2. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Well the way migration assistant works is first you give the old MBP to me. Then yougive the new one to me. Then, I switch the hard drives and give you the new MBP. BAM done.

But seriously, I think it might give you onscreen options for what to carry over.
    You can transfer your itunes, word, and iphoto stuff manually - just copy the folders over. But your safari and mail, those you might have to copy over the files in your library. (mail, mail.saved, mail downloads) and stuff.

3. Sweener88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweener88

Okay thanks! like i have everythings time machined so its all backed up! will applications drag and drop from old mac to new?

4. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

So safari and stuff, preinstalled stuff you just need to go to ~/library/com.apple.safari.plist

that's the safari preferences. If you want all your application settings, just copy over the entire library folder - that has your mail messages, stuff like that
    Applications that you drag to install just drag over. Applications with an installer have to be reinstalled.
    Your itunes is probably located at ~/music/itunes
    Copy the whole folder
    Your iphoto library is located at ~/pictures/iphoto library
    Just copy over the file.
    After your safari preferences are working, you download Firefox 3.5, and use it's built in migrator to move your bookmarks to firefox. Then set it as your default browser.
    Done.
    Remember to send me the old computer.