New Mac for Design Student?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Xeocon, Oct 25, 2009.

  1. Xeocon macrumors member

    Apr 15, 2006
    Hello all,

    Next year I will be entering my final year of University. I will be undergoing a year long project that will involve a lot of digital illustration using Photoshop. I also want to be able to use Maya and After Effects (but not as a priority.)

    Over the next two months I will be saving for a new Mac (currently on a 1st Generation Intel Core Duo 1.8 GHZ iMac.) With the help of my Dad I will be able to pick up either a new iMac 27 inch model or an entry level Mac Pro with the Apple LED 24" display by going 50/50 on it.

    I was all for the Mac Pro setup as I knew it would last me 5 years plus, but with the recent iMac release, I almost can't justify paying double the price it. I also want to kind of enjoy my summer, so the exra money that wouldn't be going towards a computer can be spent on other things :)

    So to summerize, I need a computer that will be used intensely next year for Photoshop illustration and a little Maya and After Effects on the side. I also would like to use the computer for the future Adobe line of products for the first two years of my professional career. So all in all I want a solid 3 years out of the comp before I need to upgrade.

    Also, I've been talking to a friend of mine about the glossy screens Apple runs with at the moment. He's a web-designer and said it took little to no time for him to adjust to his glossy iMac. I'm a little worried, as I need to be able to do long hauls at a time. Any opinions on that?

    Thanks for any help or advice!

    P.S I also need to run Diablo 3 when it drops. That is all :D
  2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604


    May 28, 2005
    The quad-core iMac is probably the best bet right now. However, the Mac Pro is (I believe) due for an update rather soon, so once it's updated, you may find you can get an octo-core computer for $2000...

    Personally I think the iMac is right for you, but it also depends on just how much CPU usage you need in Photoshop. Would the saved rendering time be worth $800 worth of beer and going out?
  3. Xeocon thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 15, 2006
    Yeah I've been awaiting the new Mac Pro update. I will be looking to purchase around January when I have cash together.

    To put it in perspective with student discount:

    Entry level Mac Pro with 24" Apple LED: NZD$7100
    Quad Core i5 27" iMac: NZD$3100
  4. uuaschbaer macrumors regular


    Aug 31, 2009
    At the end of the cycle an Apple product is a rip-off, but if you need a Pro, you need a Pro, so I'd evaluate the rumors that will undoubtedly be swirling around January and decide then or wait even longer. Until that time you can make a list of the pros and cons of both devices.
    You should certainly wait till the hypeness of the new macs has worn off. Too dangerous to be buying a computer based on that. Although the iMacs have a utilitarian value you don't want the hype to distort that.
  5. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

    Aug 18, 2009
    Quad 27 imac for sure, so mich cheaper and similar spec [​IMG]

Share This Page