New Mac for FCP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ryannuffsaid, Jun 4, 2007.

1. ryannuffsaid macrumors newbie

Hi, I have always wanted a mac, and for my 18th birthday, my mom said she would buy me one. I want a mac that is capable of editing video with final cut pro, but i'm not sure on which one to buy. I was thinking of a MBP for college, but i figured i already have a pc laptop running xp pro. Rihght now I edit in SD, but i'm sure that i will be making the jump to Hi-def eventually. Would an iMac suffice for this? thanks!

2. dex22 macrumors regular

Any iMac except the 17" iMac with integrated video will do the job you ask.

I do recommend you wait until after the 11th, as the line is likely to be updated imminently.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

You could always get the MBP and use BootCamp to put WinXP on it and ditch that PC laptop. :)

An iMac 17" (not the one with integrated graphics) or MBP would not be drastically different in performance methinks. Maybe if you got one of the higher end iMacs.

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

Although Macs with integrated video aren’t officially supported, they run FC Studio rather well (at least the MacBook does).

A MBP would serve you well – or one of the larger iMacs as the other posters quite rightly say.

If you’re looking to save a few bucks, start off with FCE rather than studio.