New Mac For Xmas, Word Processor Help..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macjsonmyfeet, Dec 27, 2009.

1. macjsonmyfeet macrumors newbie

Just got a new mac, what word processor should i use, should i buy one form apple or download one from the internet.... mostly needed for class/taking notes... looking for something equivalent to Microsoft word.

2. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

For very basic use your mac comes with textedit which is located in the applications folder. For more advanced use you can purchase iWork which is Apple version of Office and includes a word processor, spreadsheet and powerpoint type software. Microsoft office is also available on mac.

You could also download Open Office which is free and see if you like that before you purchase any of the others

3. macjsonmyfeet thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, i used textedit, its too basic tho, and im not trying to pay yet, so open office sounds like the way to go thanks!

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

OpenOffice has become really powerful, and it's not that hard to use, especially once it went Aqua-native (>3.0). It's a great recommendation for anyone who doesn't need to do heavy collaboration with Microsoft Office users. Plus, download it, try it, what's the harm? If it's not for you, you just delete it.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

You could also try NeoOffice, which is also free and based on Open Office. I use NeoOffice and iWork, depending on what I need to do. I don't have Open Office, so can't comment there.

I use iWork when I need to something to look good. I'm a photographer, so visual presentation is important to me. The page layout in iWork does everything I need it to do when I'm working with posters, cards, short documents, letters, ads, etc etc.

If someone sends me a complex word document I will often use NeoOffice to work on it. iWork will work as well, but it just seems more appropriate to use a Word clone when working on a Word document. Its not rational, but there it is...

Congratulations. Welcome to the Mac World.