new mac freezing up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by miguellovesjesu, Feb 22, 2009.

1. miguellovesjesu macrumors member

so i got one of the new macs that came out in october, and so far it hardly ever freezes. I have the 15" MBP 2.4Ghz. So yesterday my computer just froze on me 3 times already. I have no idea why and it just gives me this image:

[​IMG]

I wasn't running any heavy programs, just my browser and my iTunes. Anyone know why it does this, or how to find out what is freezing my computer? thanks i appreciate the responses

2. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

Do you have any third-party RAM?

Go to your Apple menu, hold down the Alt/Option key and choose "System Profiler..." Click "Memory". See if your memory reports as OK. If it reports errors, there's your problem.

If not, go to Applications > Utilities, and run the Console.app. There will be some stuff in there about what caused the kernel panic.

3. miguellovesjesu thread starter macrumors member

all ram displays ok, and im looking through that console app...is there a certain name when the computer restarts?

4. Petrofsky macrumors newbie

I have been having this same exact problem lately.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

That's called a kernel panic. Quickest way to determine whether its hardware/software related is to take a look at the latest entries in the system.log accessible from the Console application, or reinstalling the OS and re-running updates. If it still persists after the archive and install its probably hardware related.

6. miguellovesjesu thread starter macrumors member

just happened again like a couple min ago and now its really starting to irritate me, i was working on a video project! heres a shot at the logs. it panicked at about 09:44

[​IMG]

can anyone tell whats wrong?

7. msevild macrumors regular

In the console program please paste the results that are located under /Library/Logs -> then under PanicReporter. If you could paste one or two of the entire entries. That would potentially help out better than the system.log files.