New Mac 'Fusion' at WWDC?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by zirkle2007, Jun 8, 2008.

1. zirkle2007 macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Definitely fake. I don't think they could fit a Mac into that small of form factor, but moreover it just doesn't make sense. It's just a smaller Mac mini, why would it be exclusively for developers?

3. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Yeah and the web page does not look like Apple's style at all.

Why don't people enter mockup competitions with this crap instead of trying to pass it off as real?

4. zirkle2007 thread starter macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

The TUAW Talkcast is still going on and they are saying a lower price point aimed at developers on Windows that want to code for iPhone. Someone brought up the point it looks like a Photoshopped Apple TV. Erica Sadun of TUAW also pointed out that maybe it is real because of the detail, such as XCode 3.5 in the lower right. If it is a shop job, its pretty good.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The thing that can be drawn from this is that Apple could entice more developers to developing for Apple. Having an easy ride to transition code to Apple would be one part. How a MacFusion fits I can't quite grasp. It looks like a silver DVD player on 1st glance.

6. limecat macrumors newbie

Yeah, its not a bad job if it ends up being fake. The concept behind it is interesting if kind of unexpected. I'm wondering what benefit this would have over a Mini though, price, tools, etc.

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Frankly, looks convincing. The copy, especially, is extremely Apple.

8. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

The whole "Leave Windows Behind" thing isnt very Apple-ish. It isnt catchy or anything, its just blunt. I dont know, I just dont think it sounds like normal Apple.

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Seems like it's a cheap mac to target developers to develop for the iPhone.

10. kleo macrumors regular

This looks pretty credible to me. Using a core 2 duo seems like allot in a box that small though; especially with a CD slot drive. If it didnt have that glaring c2d logo on there id swear this was the source for the intel atom/apple rumors that were around. In any case rebranding the mac mini isnt a bad idea, as long as it comes in at a lower price point. $399 and im sold!

11. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I've been wondering if we'd see something like this. With the Asus EEE Desktop coming out and making the Mini look huge it's time that saw some love. Possibly Apple will drop an Atom cpu in it?

12. zirkle2007 thread starter macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

Couldn't it just use laptop components? Maybe even a special version of the C2D like Intel did for the Air. Maybe even the same chip.

13. iTim314 macrumors 6502

Eh, I don't know.

It just doesn't seem very logical to release a Mac solely for developmental purposes. Plus, being just hours away from the WWDC keynote, shouldn't we have heard some form of Whispers before this big of a revelation?

14. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

It has to be a fake. There is no way Apple would/could name a new product "Fusion" with VMWare Fusion being such a big Mac product. For those saying "Hey, didn't Apple take over the iphone brand from Cisco?", this is different. The iphone name wasn't being actively used by Cisco and Apple had been in negotiations with Cisco to take the name. I don't see VMWare giving up the name, and "Fusion" isn't nearly as iconic a name as "iphone" that Apple would pay to pry it away.

15. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

However unlikely it seems, I don't doubt apple could cram a computer into that small of a space. I mean they did make a very tiny machine with the MacBook Air.

Of course that didn't have an optical drive. I'm not saying it's real, just that I guess it may be feasible considering today's technology. :p The name could use some work, then again I didn't like Air much either.

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Looks like an Apple TV with a CD drive, so I guess they could cram a computer into something that small.

I don't think it's real though. I would think anyone doing some serious developing would want something with more horsepower so it doesn't take forever to compile their code. Plus, VMWare could probably easily argue trademark infringement on the name "Fusion"

18. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Obviously I think it's fake (I already said so) but for all of you saying it looks like an AppleTV, you're not wrong, but I can't find a photo of the AppleTV at that angle, so it would probably have been skewed in Photoshop. Any of you perspective whizzes want to provide proof that the perspective is messed up?

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Someone with their own aTV could have taken that picture.

I don't think it's real, but it is a very good photoshop, if it is one

20. rippyz macrumors member

I'd like it to be real, but it's more than likely fake.
    Why would it say "Leave Windows behind" and at the same time saying "....keeping the ability to run alternate operating systems, such as Windows or Linux..." :confused:

Besides, if it's on the screen, why take a photo with the camera, why not just do a screen capture and post that instead?

21. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Another credible vote here. I don't see a single thing that casts doubt on these screenshots. Arguments like "that doesn't sound like a tag line that Apple would use" hold no water because every single time a real Apple tag line winds up being leaked beforehand there are always lots of people who say the same thing.

The only significant reason I can think of to cast doubt on these images is their poor quality. Even with a cell phone camera, if you really did have a few moments of access to this highly valued pre-release evidence I think you would've managed to get better pictures.

But other than that I see nothing concrete that would point to fakery.

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely "Fake" Nothing is centered, the computer itself is off-center, as well as everything else, "Bridge The Gap" the Logo's, just everything is out of whack!:eek:

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah remember "Add another Mac to your Mac" from the Leopard release - world's worst tagline.

24. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I would class developers as Professional users. Maybe they could use a MacPro or a MacBookPro?

"Leave Windows behind"

"Explore the power and stability of Mac OS X while keeping the ability to run alternate operating systems such as Windows."

?

25. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i think the apple logo doesn't sit right...

instead of this "macfusion" rumor, why not make it the new mac mini? people want mac minis. and i hope apple is listening.