New Mac guy needing some help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chrisgardner, Jul 19, 2007.

1. chrisgardner macrumors newbie

Jun 24, 2007
    OK, I just got my new macbook pro 2.4 with 4 gigs of ram and 160 gig hard drive. I have been working on windows machines for 13 years so I got parallels and expected to use windows a lot. I have had the machine for less than a week and already am looking forward to getting totally rid of windows. I have 3 things that I would like to know if someone could help me.

1. My computer has started taking a lot of extra time to boot up. The CD rom is empty so I don't know what could be causing it. It takes over 3 minutes to become usable. Is this normal? Everyone seems to tell me that it is not. Is there anything that I can do to the system to help it out or have I made a mistake of some sort? Anyone that can help me with this would be greatly appreciated.

2. I have a Blackberry 7100i, What software is there to be able to sync the blackberry to my computer. I can't seem to find anything. Any information would really help me out. Being out of sync is really messing me up. I have been able to connect the blackberry via Bluetooth but cannot sync yet.

3. There was a neat program that I saw a guy use. I know it is just a toy but I would like to find it. With this program, if you put your hand over the speakers they automatically muted. Phone rings, I place my hand over the sensor area I suppose and it gets rid of what is playing. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

I am looking forward to getting to know this machine and all it can do. Thanks for all your help.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I know of two: PocketMac and Missing Sync
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    1. Sounds like maybe something odd is running on boot up. 3 minutes is excessive. See if anything was put into sys prefs -> accounts -> your user -> login items?

2. Blackberry provides a free copy of a program called PocketMac that allows the Blackberry to interface with the Mac. That should be your first option.

3. Can't help you, sorry.
  4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Where does the computer seem to be held up in the boot process?

Some really good software for this is the missing sync.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever heard of this program.
  5. chrisgardner thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 24, 2007

OK, just got the missing sync and it works great, thanks so much for your help with that. I went and checked the hard drive in the disk utility. I had it verify and repair. Seems to be back to normal. Thanks for all your help. 2 out of 3 in a couple of hours, you guys are great.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    By "started" do you mean this is something new? If so, what changed? Did you add software, hardware or connect to a network?
  7. mattw macrumors newbie

Jul 13, 2007
    Something I didn't realise when I started using my Mac - it is quite normal not to shut down the computer but rather use "Sleep" instead. It uses practically no power (apparently on a laptop the battery can sustain it for 3 weeks) and is silent but means you only wait a second or two for it to come back to life.

I only shutdown/restart when I apply automatic updates.

Also with your Blackberry - if you wanted to stick with iSync sometimes you can download unofficial scripts (aka drivers) for iSync so that a normally unsupported device works. The software the others have recommended is probably much better but I have used these iSync drivers for mobile phone connections where extra software would cost money.