new mac - hard drive swap?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zenoran, Aug 23, 2009.

1. zenoran macrumors regular

Hey guys-

quick question... I have a mac mini right now with a mbp on the way as a replacement... would I be able to just take out the HD from the mini and put it in the mbp or would I need to do a completely new installation?

not sure on dependent the hardware is on the os installation...

thanks!

2. celticpride678

I don't think so. I think they are two different size hard drives.

3. zenoran thread starter macrumors regular

Well ya that's the point of putting it in my mbp... I upgraded my mini to a 500gb HD I was going to put that in my laptop... I was just curious of whether or not an OS reinstall would be necessary due to the hardware differences or if osx can handle that.

4. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

zenoran, I think celticpride678 meant that the drive's physical sizes are different - but he's wrong, in either case... the mini takes a 9.5 mm 2.5" drive, as does the MBP. I don't know the size of the iMac drive (they might be 12 mm 2.5" drives, but I really don't know).

As to your OS question - I have no idea, but that's an interesting question.

I'm prolly going to buy a mini, and if so, I'll buy the base model and swap in a bigger drive by myself. My plan is to use Super Duper! to make a boot copy of the original drive onto the new drive and then install the new drive... so your question is of interest to me as well (even if you're asking about something slightly different).