New Mac - how shall I install it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by abjork, Mar 13, 2008.

1. abjork macrumors newbie

Hi All Mac friends,

I'm a new Mac user and have just got my first Mac computer. It's a Macbook Pro. As I'm totally new to Mac and OSX I would appreciate a bit help to get started. In the past when I have got a new PC I knew how I wanted to setup Windows and which settings to use.

Now when I got my Mac I have no clue how to optimize the installation to remove all the extra programs, drivers and languages that are installed in the factory. If I have understood everything correctly my Mac will be ready for use when it arrives.

What do you recommend me to do before I start to use the computer, installing my own apps, and learn how all the apps and settings work? How do you configure your new Mac when it arrives from Apple?

Also other hints and tips for a new Mac user are welcome!!

Thanks!

2. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

first of all, congrats on your new Mac!

Great news for you: Macs don't come preloaded with a pile of crap (shareware, nagware, etc.). No need to re-install anything. Just roll with the factory installation of Mac OS X.

The are programs, however, which allow you to strip the language files from an application. Such programs are Trimmit or XSlimmer.

Feel free to ask any question on Mac OS X or request a post over at Mac Kindergarten.

Hope this was helpful.

/Rupert

3. abjork thread starter macrumors newbie

This is good news. Nice to know that the factory installation is clean from unnecessary programs.

In the beginning I believe I will try to avoid this kind of programs as I don't know how OSX works and how to remove the programs in the future without leaving a lot of unnecessary files on the computer. Is there some other way to remove the languages that I don't want? Is there some other stuff that I need to know about the installation?

For a starter I will try to install programs that I really need and will use. This to avoid filling up the computer with crap. I already got a couple of programs that I will install as I believe this programs will be 'good to have'.

• Quicksilver
    • Adium
    • MacTheRipper
    • DAZ Studio 2.0

Is there some other programs that you strongly recommend?

I believe your site Mac Kindergarten will be useful for me :)

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

The extra language stuff and printer drivers are in the optional install part of the installation of the OS and im unsure if you can remove them without going through the install process or by using a third party app

Here is a load more stuff you may find useful

5. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

Hi,

I recommend installing Perian and Flip4Mac. These enable you to view almost any kind of media type on your Mac, natively. Just search for them on my site, if you have trouble installing them.

People also use VLC a lot. It's a video player, which supports a lot of media types as well, but does not integrate in Mac OS X.

I personally recommend SafariStand. Real value added to Safari (freeware). Installation and setup tutorial on my site as well.

/Rupert

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I would suggest not removing the printer drivers since that is one of the best things about a mac. You can install a printer and not have to worry (for the most part) about needing the install disk for your printer.

Just a thought

Peace:cool:

7. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

Get this program, too:

http://reggie.ashworth.googlepages.com/appdelete

a lot of Mac users will tell you to remove apps from your system by dropping them in the trash and manually removing the files it leaves behind, but this does it in one fell swoop. It's basically a freeware version of AppZapper.

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Why quote me?,its the OP you should be telling your thoughts about the printer drivers,i only answered the question. Also why have the drivers installed taking up unnecessary space until you need them?.You can also get them of the off the manufactures website instead of wasting space,you only need the one driver not loads of em

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Software Update in Leopard adjusts for this. Plug in a new printer, run software update and the driver is there for you. (I have never tried this but that is what they say will happen). If not you can get it from the manufactures website in about 3 minutes. Hardly worth carrying around GBs worth of drivers just on the off chance.

10. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

one thing which got on my nerves is that i didnt have tap-to-click support enabled on my MBP and this boooothered me... so i suggest you enable it otherwise you will find yourself annoyed having to reach down to click each time

11. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Geese, take it easy Neil, I was just quoting you to continue a thought about the printer drivers. Was just expressing the fact that Macs are way better in that area than PCs, I use my Mac in many different places that have many different printers and I have never had to use an external driver from a disk or waste my time hunting down the driver in the vast list of the manufacturers web-site.

I agree that you can spend a few minutes getting the driver from another source, and that if you want to delete all the drivers that come pre-installed go for it.

Just my thoughts,

Peace:cool:

12. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Yep sorry about that,reading my post again it does sound a bit abrupt,but it wasn't meant to sound/come across that way.I agree with you in the fact that if your always lugging your notebook around and plugging
    into various printers it makes sense to install all the printers drivers,but for your average joe home user it doesn't.

Once again sorry for sounding like a ogar.

peace :cool:

13. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

No worries, I was looking at my post and I should have been more clear on my uses. I do agree that not everyone needs all those drivers and 3.18gigs is a lot to lug around and not use.

I will also stop using "Peace:cool:" at the end of my posts since I noticed that you use it too... lol

"Live long and Prosper":cool:

14. abjork thread starter macrumors newbie

I really would like to remove the printer drivers and extra languages. In this way I would get the feeling that I know what my OS contains. But as I don't have enough knowledge about OS X, yet, I think i will wait with this and learn OS X before I start to configure it.

neil321: Thanks for the link you posted to the thread about Mac software. Really good link.

zainjetha: I don't know if I want the tap-to-click feature enabled. On my PC that I write on now it is just annoying, I often tap accidentally. Good to know that it is possible to enable the feature, if needed.

mackindergarten: I have read quite a few threads about Perian and Flip4Mac. I will install these programs.

dopey220: Appdelete sounds as a nice program for a new Mac user.

Thanks for all comments and suggestions you have given to me!

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Thats Ok but not installing the printer drivers and languages is no big deal,its a couple of tick boxes and thats it you don't have to go through choosing stuff "HAY IT'S A Mac"

When your Mac turns up,just pop in the install/restore disk/s and do a erase & install boot from the disk ( hold down the c key ) it'll say options choose erase & install when you see customize just
    uncheck the printer driver & additional languages ( two boxes ) and just carry on with the install

It's a virgin machine so you have nothing to loose

16. Makosuke macrumors 603

There's a very easy solution that's absolutely safe; it's also what I would do in the same situation:

When the computer gets there, stick in the install/restore disc(s) that comes with it, boot it up off that disc, and do a clean install of the OS ("erase and install", since there's nothing on it anyway). Except, under the optional stuff, uncheck all the bonus printer drivers and any languages you won't be using the computer in (also, remember that it can still display those languages, you just can't switch the menus to them).

Once the install completes you have a 100% clean, fresh system sans anything you don't need.

Again, this is exactly what I do with new systems when I want to maximize free space on the drive, and I set up quite a few (small-office IT guy--got seven new Macs coming in tomorrow, in fact, and I'll be doing this to them).