New Mac: How to import large iTunes library from NAS?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LaWatusi, Dec 27, 2013.

1. LaWatusi, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

LaWatusi macrumors newbie

Hello,

I received a Mac Mini for Christmas. :) I'm moving over from a PC. It's been 10 years since I've worked with a Mac, but I own an iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. I'm a little confused about some things, but so far I love it!

I've managed to set everything up over the last couple days except iTunes. I ran into a little trouble.

In my iTunes library lives around 1000 albums and hundreds of apps. Due to the library's size, it resides on a My Book Live NAS. I choose this library through iTunes during the application startup, and iTunes began importing the library, and I could see all my albums. But then iTunes began analyzing each song and it crashed within a couple of minutes. I had to force quit.

I'm hesitant to try this approach again because I don't want the library to become corrupted. What should I do?

My initial thought is to create a new iTunes library on the NAS and import the albums and apps in chunks, but this might take a couple of days. Is there a better way?

Thanks for your input,
    Laurie

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Copy the music to the local drive in a temporary folder. Import it into iTune with copy music turned on. When successful, delete the temporary folder and copy the iTunes organized files onto the new NAS. Delete the iTune music and reimport (with copy off) into iTunes.

3. LaWatusi thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds like a good idea. It would probably be more stable to do it locally instead of over the network.

Thanks!