Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beloved84

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
My old mac died, and I just got a new mac. How do i manually sync my iphone with itunes without erasing all my data?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
You really need to find a way to get your old files and account copied from the old Mac to the new one. If you can't do that alone, try the Apple store.

"Died" doesn't usually mean all your data is gone...it's just a little harder to get at. Probably someone else can do it for you.

(And yes, buy an external drive and use Time Machine from now on. That'll save you this trouble next time.)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You can transfer purchases off the phone, and you can re-download apps for free as well.

Or pull the old drive, stick it in a cheap enclosure, and copy the stuff off it. Newertech makes a kit that doesn't need an enclosure.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
You can save everything except music (which isn't a big deal unless you didn't back it up)

You can get contacts back by merging, transfer purchases (apps and videos, songs etc)

I re-installed OS X this weekend and forgot about my iPhone..I was worried about contacts, but I plugged into iTunes and merged data with address book and it's all good :> I then transfered purchases (file, transfer purchases) and besides music, my phone was like it had been :)

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
Or pull the old drive, stick it in a cheap enclosure, and copy the stuff off it. Newertech makes a kit that doesn't need an enclosure.

If at all possible, I would pull the drive and copy the files off onto your new machine.

I would want at least my:

Music Folder
Pictures Folder
Address Book
Documents

There are other valuable files in your user folder, but those would be the minimum I would want. You can pull the music off your iPhone with some of the third party applications, but it will be much more complete if you can get to the hard drive in your "dead" computer...

Once you have everything, you can even use your old drive in the new external enclosure for Time Machine, and make sure you have a backup from now on...

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Unless I missed something or a post, IDKY no one suggested using sharepod, which is free, or a similar program to get the music, movies, and pictures off the iPhone. You can use Funambol, also free, to upload the contacts online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.