New Mac in a few months

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iZak, Oct 6, 2007.

1. iZak macrumors newbie

Hi, my first thread here, this forum rocks btw :D

I have MacBook (the base model with 2.0GHz C2D, 1GB RAM (2x512), 80GB HDD, Combodrive) and im quite happy with it.
    However im looking into getting a new Mac in a few months (say January-February).

And im not sure to which one i should save the money for.

An iMac "24 with C2D 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM (and easily upgrade it to 4gb ram later), 320gb hdd, superdrive, hd2600pro and all that.

Or

Mac Pro with Dual Xeon 2.66GHz, 1GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Superdrive, 7300GT.

I have access to edu discount so its a bit cheaper for me
    If i choose the Mac Pro i can't afford a new monitor for a while so i have to use my 720p "26 inch LCD-TV until i can afford one (and some ram upgrades).

I need a desktop because i want to get into 3d art a bit, programming (sure i could use MacBook for that but nothing beats a workstation?) and some gaming with XP through Bootcamp (Orange Box and Spore).

The question is, will the Mac Pro drop in price soon and will it get new graphics cards when Leopard is out?
    And how bad are the freeze problems and the monitor problems on the new alu iMac?
    I don't want to spend alot of cash on a Mac that doesn't work right out of the box.

And don't complain on my english, not my primary language.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

1. Your English is just fine, no need to apologize

2. My guess is that the Mac Pro will be updated (and hopefully its price will drop) somewhere between November and January...

3. There is a fix in progress according to Apple for the freezing