Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Hi al,

Just gotten my dual 1.8 on Saturday. I was wondering, how can you format the harddrive with a good clean format? I have tried with the install dvd, but it did only a quick format. Also, I searched for the Applehardware test on this DVD, but couldn't find it. There is only a pdf mentioning it! Futhermore I was wondering what software came with a G5. I am missing for instance Appleworks and iLive 04. I thought Steve said the last one would come with every new Mac.

Also, transferred files from my G3 to my G5 via my iPod, but noticed that my iPod isn't very accurate, especially with a lot of small files, the harddisk is very fragmented (so is my G3). So I wanted to format both. But couldn't find any app to format the iPod. The firmware update didn't help much.

Also, if you know a good way to transfer prefences from one Mac to the other, please share! I mean your bookmarks from safari for instance and ofcourse all the preferences in Mail (including the mailboxes) and Addressbook (imported the Vcards, but the groups are missing), also Itunes gives problems, I am missing playlist and copying all my tunes wasn't as easy as it should (because of the fragmented iPod!).

Thanks for all replies!
Dreadnought

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Many questions.... I'll do my best.

Q) "how can you format the harddrive with a good clean format?"

A) You will probably need somekind of commercial disk tool (TechTool? DiskWarrior? Norton Utilities? <not sure> )

Q) "I searched for the Applehardware test on this DVD, but couldn't find it"

A) Of you boot the Mac from this DVD while pressing the <OPTION> key, you will see that there is another part of the DVD you can boot from. Pressing the <OPTION> key at boot (keep pressing until the blue screen appears!), will give you a couple of options you can boot from, including: "Apple Hardware Test"

Q) "Futhermore I was wondering what software came with a G5"

A) You can browse which "extra" software comes installed (pre-installed if you do the System Restore), by going to the hidden directory ".Images" on the DVD. You can do this by opening the DVD, the select the "Go" menu, and activate "Go to Folder..." (<COMMAND> <SHIFT> <G>), then type ".images" end press <ENTER>. There you will find the diskimages of the software.

Q) "I am missing for instance Appleworks and iLive 04"

A) I think AppleWorks only comes pre-installed on consumer Macs. iLife '04 should be bundled though! I would contact the reseller.

Q) "But couldn't find any app to format the iPod'

A) Sorry.. can't help you there... I don't have an iPod to test, and I'm afraid I might "help" you delete all your audio tracks without backup...

Q) "a good way to transfer prefences from one Mac to the other, please share"

A) You can for example copy all the pref files from the G3 to the G5. All (your) prefs are stored in <yourname=Home>/Library/Preferences.
Maybe it is a good idea to copy the entire contents of your home-directory to the G5. That way you'll get all prefs, bookmarks, address book contacts, documents etc. the same on the G5 as the G3.

Most "settings" are stored in <yourname=Home>/Library/
Check out that directory to see what's inside, and you will recognize it. But don't forget that the data of iTunes is stored in <yourname=Home>/Music.

So if you want an exact copy of an existing iTunes application copy the following to the new Mac:

<yourname=Home>/Music (=data)
<yourname=Home>/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins (speeks for itself)
<yourname=Home>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist (the prefs)

Most applications settings and data are stored that way.
Maybe some have additional directories in
<yourname=Home>/Library/Application Support/

Check for yourself. Might be a bit confusing, but once you "get it" it makes life with Mac OS X alot easier!

Have fun with the G5!

:)

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Thanks for taking the time to answer all of my questions! Because my ipod is kind of corrupt when you transfer a lot of small files I only transferred some files one by one. couldn't get a network throug ethernet with the two or a use my g3 as a firewire drive. Did however get my G5 as a firewire drive on my G3, but it wasn't stable for some strange reason... Therefore I used my ipod to transfer all things, but had a lot of errors and a lot of time copying without having any progress.

I thought there has to be some program out there that does this automatically, maybe anyone knows?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
No chance at getting a cross-over Ethernet cable between the two? That would make it much easier.

Apps like Synk X may be able to help you.
Or Apple's Backup could do the trick if you have a .Mac account

BTW.... just noticed where you live.... Indeed the end of our world ;)

DNH

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2003
Halifax, NS, Canada
Q) "how can you format the harddrive with a good clean format?"

When the installer starts, you should be able to launch disk utility from the Installer menu. If you erase the drive with that, you get the options of writing zeros to the hard drive and 8-way formatting (or something like that) that writes random characters 8 times (iirc). I think that is good as it gets.

EDIT: spelling

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Can't you just connect the two computers through the firewire port and boot the source computer into disk target mode (hold T during startup)?

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Re: New Mac -> installing and reformatting

Originally posted by Dreadnought
Hi al,

Just gotten my dual 1.8 on Saturday. I was wondering, how can you format the harddrive with a good clean format? I have tried with the install dvd, but it did only a quick format. Also, I searched for the Applehardware test on this DVD, but couldn't find it. There is only a pdf mentioning it! Futhermore I was wondering what software came with a G5. I am missing for instance Appleworks and iLive 04. I thought Steve said the last one would come with every new Mac.

Also, transferred files from my G3 to my G5 via my iPod, but noticed that my iPod isn't very accurate, especially with a lot of small files, the harddisk is very fragmented (so is my G3). So I wanted to format both. But couldn't find any app to format the iPod. The firmware update didn't help much.

Also, if you know a good way to transfer prefences from one Mac to the other, please share! I mean your bookmarks from safari for instance and ofcourse all the preferences in Mail (including the mailboxes) and Addressbook (imported the Vcards, but the groups are missing), also Itunes gives problems, I am missing playlist and copying all my tunes wasn't as easy as it should (because of the fragmented iPod!).

Thanks for all replies!
Dreadnought
Two words. Disk utility.
Format your iPod from there, make sure to check the "write zeros" option.

If you wanna move preferences just copy you preferences folder! Drop if back in your home folder after re-installing.

Formatting the G5 is also easy.
Pop-in the OS X CD, hold teh c key and when the installer comes up, click the menubar (I think the installer menu or the applemenu) and choose "Disk Utility," that should let you select your HD and format it. After quiting the disk utility you can go on to install OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.