New mac is slower than older macs. Possible benchmarks?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ibjr, May 16, 2010.

1. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I need suggestions on benchmarking programs that will objectively show to Apple that my MBP has a HD or SATA problem. The genius bar has told me 3 times over the last year that I should do a fresh reinstall. It does not help.

Back story: Last summer I replaced a Early 2007 Macbook (1.83 ghz C2Duo 2gb ram, 5400rpm 60gb HD) with a Summer 2009 13inch Macbook pro (2.26 ghz C2Duo, 2gb ram, 5400rpm 160gb HD).

My laptop was one of those affected by the HD access problems when Apple moved our computers from 1.5 to 3 SATA. They released a performance update in late August early September that cured the stuttering video problems but my computer always felt slow.

The problem is that is around the time I upgraded to 10.6 so I assumed it had to do with running 2gb of ram w/ an OS that needed more. This summer, I began using my older macbook again and I found it had been updated to 10.6. It does not seem slower... in fact it seems faster much faster than my MBP.

I have now done a clean reinstall of 10.6 and used the combo updater. It still seems much more sluggish than my MB when using virtual memory. I assume that Apple's SATA maintenance update may have only superficially covered the problem.

Are there any benchmark programs I can run or anything else I can do to show that there is a real problem? I can add more RAM but if there is a general HD access then I am just hiding the problem.

Thanks,
    IBjr

2. Ibjr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another thing: My MBP populates folder icons (like the applications folder) very slowly.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

XBench does a hard drive test in it's benchmark run. It doesn't take long to do, and they have a site full of user submitted scores you can compare to.

4. Ibjr thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are XBench's HD results more reliable than the rest of their results?

5. Ibjr thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu