New Mac - iTunes Library on External Drive - how to import?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fujiko7, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Fujiko7 macrumors 6502

I just bought a MacBook Pro. I have my iTunes library on an external firewire HDD. I want to keep it there, but have iTunes on my new Mac access it. However, even though I have put the path to that drive in iTunes Preferences, the songs there don't show up in iTunes.

The new Mac is authorised, and I have bought a song on the iTunes store, which was saved to the external drive.

So what do I need to do? Do I get one of the library files copied over from the old machine (also a Mac)?

Thanks.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Changing the iTunes music folder path in preferences will not automatically add those items to the player interface. You will have to add them from the File menu. The thing to make absolutely sure of so you don't duplicate your library is that your iTunes Music folder location is set to the path of (drive)/iTunes/iTunes Music. If you ever disconnect the external drive however, it'll ask you to choose another iTunes Music folder.

3. Fujiko7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it, many thanks.

Now, what file do I need that has my play counts, etc?

Cheers!

4. goobimama macrumors regular

While launching iTunes, hold down the option key. This will allow you to point to a new library. Navigate to your external drive iTunes library and it should be fine. Of course, make sure you backup your stuff before you try any of this (=free advice)

5. knurd macrumors newbie

goobimama you rock! Works like a charm. Thank you muchly.