New Mac keep old iPhone settings

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brianjcameron, May 4, 2011.

1. brianjcameron macrumors member

Hi guys, urgent advice needed.

My iMac died on me (hard disk) not repairable under disk utility or complete reinstall. Got a mac mini as a media centre that I plan to use until lion comes out when I will get a new iMac.

In meantime i plan to copy iTunes folder from time capsule backup to mac mini to enable continued use of my library.

Problem is if I connect my iPad or iPhone will it see it as a new device, and insist on fresh install of everything. Thus losing all my iPhone setup and folders etc? Or there a link to the iTunes folder that will allow iTunes to recognise the iPhone and continue as normal.

Is there files on time capsule that need to placed on the mac mini prior to sync.

Detailed steps on what I should do to avoid problems and resyncing would be greatly appreciated. I have vital data built into some apps that I can't export out, and can't afford to lose. It would be massive pain to manually write it all out. Thus the major issue to me.

Regards,
    Brian Cameron

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Restore from time machine. Don't copy manually if you don't know what to copy.

3. brianjcameron thread starter macrumors member

Not an option as that would delete mac mini info, and also mac mini drive to small to take all data in time capsule.