New Mac Mini as HTPC Windows 7 or OS X

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by thesheleys, Mar 4, 2013.

1. thesheleys, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

thesheleys macrumors member

I will be getting a new Mac Mini on Tuesday and want to use it just for the purpose of recording TV Shows from my HDHomeRun and converting them to iTunes format for my AppleTV's. I am looking on thoughts of which will be better...

1. Windows 7 Media Center

2. OS X with EyeTV

I already have all the licenses for either way so any thoughts either way would be great.

Thanks!

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

My choice would be the OS X way, overall a better experience, there are Apps similar to the Windows software, like XBMC, MediaCentral, plex and Boxee aside from eyeTV.

Just a question, how are you going to input the signal from TV to the Mini, I have a Mini Myself, would like to know how you do this.

3. thesheleys thread starter macrumors member

I will be using a HDHomeRun that is on my network. I currently have it setup to record on an iMac with EyeTV and so far it works well.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

But, what eyeTV, I want to know the hardware, are you using a HDTV USB stick or a converter which converts/inputs the TV signal into the Mini.

5. thesheleys thread starter macrumors member

I am not using any EyeTV Hardware. I am using an HDHomeRun, http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/atsc/, with the EyeTV Software.

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Ah, I see, I thought it was a channel or provider, seems to be quite good hardware, there are other brands which charge an arm and a leg for a small USB HDTV dongle.

7. thesheleys thread starter macrumors member

Another thought would be XBMC Frodo with the built in PVR. Anybody get that working on OS X?

8. brendu macrumors 68020

If you are looking at windows, I feel like windows 8 is a much better choice for a HTPC. I tried it out and the live tile start screen and full screen apps are very nice.

I prefer osx to windows but for a HTPC I really like the look and feel of windows 8.