New Mac Mini based on Intel Ion platform - March Launch

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by nylon, Jan 15, 2009.

1. nylon macrumors 65816

nylon

2. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

If that's going to happen, they may as well kill off the mini for good instead of tarnishing it's memory with that.

I have an Eee PC and the thought of a desktop computer being powered by Atom is horrific.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's not new thing that Mini will use nvidia chipset. I would like to know the source of launch month. I hope it comes sooner than in 2 months. We'll see...

4. nylon thread starter macrumors 65816

nylon

Yeah, I'm not sure how this platform combination compares to the current platform. It's still technically a rumor, but it seems likely.

5. nylon thread starter macrumors 65816

nylon

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

No, it doesn't. The Atom is an extremely anemic platform and is less than the current entry-level Mini. If Apple uses it, it'll more likely go in a netbook or even the Apple TV update. The only way I can envision this in a Mini is if they plan to use OpenCL and leverage the 9400m.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

8. svndmvn Guest

yeah, Apple TV with that more likely, in my opinion.
    Recent rumors were hinting at an a lot more powerful Mac Mini, dual DVI if I'm not mistaking, and power efficiency, the whole concept of Atom is not of any interest for a "desktop", I could be wrong though.

9. NightStorm macrumors 68000

If this ends up being true, I'm sure glad I went ahead and purchased a 3.06GHz iMac and didn't wait for a new "Mac Mini" to be released.

10. nylon thread starter macrumors 65816

nylon

This isn't an Atom platform. It's Nvidia's Ion platform (9400M) paired with a dual core Atom 330. The Ion platform doesn't seem "anemic" at all. In fact, having read some of the information it seems like it's considerably more powerful then the current Mac Mini offering.

11. svndmvn Guest

on a side note, I don't see apple crippling the mini to a FSB of 533MHz, it would have to be called Mac pu**y not mini

12. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

I don't think Apple is made up of 6 year olds. This definitely won't happen.

13. nylon thread starter macrumors 65816

nylon

14. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

Best thing I have read all day :)

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Atom is a terrible step back from even budget dual core mobile Celerons/Semprons. The 9400M G is another story but that's the IGP and not the processor.

The front side bus and RAM clock ratios aren't always 1:1.

16. svndmvn Guest

this looks better, even though I'm curious to know if a real core2duo or quad could eventually get on that board.
    the first link of yours said the atom had a 533MHz frequency though..

17. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Thanks for clipping my reference to OpenCL and the 9400M. :rolleyes: Nothing like quoting out of context.

18. nylon thread starter macrumors 65816

nylon

Some more info:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/12/nvidia-ion-platform-gets-demonstrated-at-ces/

I'm not sure if the Ion only supports Atom CPU's given the specs. Since It's a 9400M I'm sure it's capable of supporting other CPU's as well given it's the same chip that's in the current Macbook (Pro). Only time will tell what Apple actually uses. It might be a hybrid of some sort. Still very interesting proposition.

19. akbc macrumors 6502

Maybe this whole DC Atom 330 + Ion platform is the new entry model?
    Possibly at a $399 price tag :D

....... Or I may be just dreaming.

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Ion is nVidia's 9400M platform for the Atom processor. The 9400M chipset already supports desktop and mobile processors. :rolleyes:

21. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Ion = Atom + 9400M.

What's absolutely certain is that Atom-based hackintoshes get really crappy Geekbench scores, far below that of the entry-level Mac Mini. If you want better performance out of Ion under OS X, it will have to rely on the 9400's CUDA technology and Snow Leopard's OpenCL.

22. nylon thread starter macrumors 65816

nylon

Yup, absolutely correct. OpenCL and CUDA are a given for Snow Leopard.

Weather this ends up in the new Mini or whatever replaces the Mini will depend on what kind of product differentiation Apple is looking for. What kind of price/performance it's going for. Weather it can get the job done for entry level computing. The current dated Mini seems less powerful then the capabilities of the alleged Ion platform to be used.

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's absolutely idiotic. You may as well just call the iPod shuffle the Mac Mini with the kind of processing power it would have.

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You might want to do a little more research first. I strongly suggest it.

25. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Atom would be a large step back in performance. But then again, Apple lowered the GHz of the $1299 MacBook and used the GPU to make up for the difference, maybe Apple is doing the same thing here? (Although a 17% GHz reduction is nowhere near a Core 2 Duo -> Atom.)

Does this mean that the $999 white MacBook will be replaced with a $999 Atom aluminum MacBook?

If true, this increases the likelihood of a netbook too, or at least a smaller and slimmer MacBook Air.

Although I'm not sure how "An Nvidia partner confirmed to us that Apple was the first to receive samples of Nvidia's Ion platform, which we covered extensively during CES. In fact, Apple received prototype units long before Nvidia partners who opted to work on Ion" ended up into "Confirmed: Apple Mac Mini Based on Nvidia Ion."